Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 951 Motor info

+1

951 Motor info

Hey there guys, hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject line, i am snooping about for info on the 951 motor.

For now id like to know what its failures are, any common or known problems, and sourcing a motor.

Im looking at doing a 951 swap into my second X2 Kawasaki hull. Tight, and tricky yes, but impossible i dont think so. Well ... ask me in 12 months.

But im looking for something perhaps to tinker with during our winter months here.

I have a fast 650 motor in one, but the second is missing a few bits, and a motor.

Thanks.

+1
    The biggest cause of failure in those ski's is water related... The carbs sit so low and are side drafted, so water in the hull just splashes on in!

Other than that... AWESOME motors..

+1
    Dan, yea this is a MASSIVE problem with the X2 ... if they breate (hood) they also suck water. Having said that, mechanical and dual 500gph units will do fine, and if anything a shroud setup perhaps.

Ive thought about that, but thats tollerable.

The real issue is the pipe ...

Sounds like a Sick combination. They have a few weak spots but not many. The exhaust needs to be secured real well so it wont develop a leak at the manifold pipe joint that happens to be right over the carbs. Any loose or broken bolts can result in a leak and a damaged engine. Some think the manifold with the oring that came out in 2000 was better but I think PINK gasket from Seadoo is better. I have 4 broken manifold on the shelf that were oring style. Its my opinion I am sure some will disagree. Dont remove the chokes they come in handy if the engine glow plugs . When you install F/A's the engine will have a tendency to run away if the jetting isnt spot on so the choke can be used for that and IMO the chokes dont restrict a thing. If the engine has more than 100 hours you might want to tear it down and check or replace the crank seals and Counterbalance shaft bearings. A few wont agree but I would do this and I have had 4 951's and never had one blow. I rode surf for a few years before it was popular. I now own a 70mph 2002 XPL. I have also built to many 951's to remember as I work for a Seadoo Yamaha Dealer the since 2000. Better to do it now than after the engine is in IMHO

+1
    +1
    Other than keeping the pipe-to-manifold bolts tight, be sure to keep good bushings in the front and RS pipe mounts. If the pipe is given any room to deflect, it will contribute to the head pipe failure at the manifold. The biggest water ingestion issue on the 951s came from the STUPID air intake box that sits on the floor of the bilge. Get rid of that and 99% of your water issues are gone.

Had another o ringed exhaust manifold failed today.on an 2001 GTX. The bolts were starting to work loose and the Manifold was ruined. Also the Gray fuel lines go bad and gum up the carb filters. So tear down the carbs and look for Goooo and replace filters. I disagree with Zippy on the Air Box but Im sure you will come up with your own

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    I disagree with Zippy on the Air Box but Im sure you will come up with your own
    Zippy? Who the hell is Zippy?

+1
    Heres an idea from a 4 stroke. Put a rubber tubing around the lips of the carbs, clamp it down, then run the hose up higher for the carbs to breath and put the flame arrestor at the end of that.
    On the 4 strokes, the run the plastic tub from the supercharger around the back of the ski and to the front and thats where you put the filter at. Just an idea for some of you guys worried about water ingestion.
    Another reason a manifold breaks is because the pipe is not properly installed. Also if you continously are out jumping waves every weekend (ahem like some of you South Florida boys), what do you expect, hahaha, ya beat the shit out of them skis with all that height you get. Somethings bound to break after a while.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Ok well sounds promising.

Shooter was extactly thinking that, to move the air intake height.

And the pipes, the actual expansion chamber after the manifold, is that single or double skinned ?. Reason i ask is i may need to chop and rotate the expansion chamber around a tad .. or cut and bulge the hull. Need to also get a waterbox on it ... some of the SXI boys run them straight back into a rear exhaust, and they are super super loud.

But sexy as hell.

So all in all ive got some good feedback on them, what is great, i was fearing id get a few negatives on the motor, but it seems to live up to its rep.

Anybody know of any for sale ?. Prefer in re-buildable cond.

+1
    The head pipe is water jacketed to the joint with the tail cone. The cone is not. Your best bet is to put a bump-out in the hull. This is what I did to the XP conversion I'm working on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information