Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

head gasket question?

The catch can in my 05 RXT, turns out, was about 2/3 full of greenish water and only just a lil bit of oil. Can was full from the end of the season riding and the ski has sat since then.

Gonna change the oil (and the stick is showing full).. My question is, for those who have experienced it, does this sound like a blown head gasket? Or is it possibly something else? If its something else, what should i be looking at?

thanks in advance

+1
    I dont think its water. What does it smell like? I think you have Gas mixed with oil which is nomal. You should empty it when you have an inch or so of fluid.

+1
    My catch can and entire breather hose (7+ inches long of 3/4" hose) is full of liquid. I don't remember it being there before winter either. I'm too scared to empty it and see what the liquid is.

+1
    ttt, anyone else?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post
    The catch can in my 05 RXT, turns out, was about 2/3 full of greenish water and only just a lil bit of oil. Can was full from the end of the season riding and the ski has sat since then.

Gonna change the oil (and the stick is showing full).. My question is, for those who have experienced it, does this sound like a blown head gasket? Or is it possibly something else? If its something else, what should i be looking at?

thanks in advance
    Are you sure it's water? Normally you get a clear/yellowish liquid that smells like fuel.

If you are pulling your dipstick out of a cold engine it can read full. You have to start the engine, let it idle 30 seconds, kill it, wait 30 seconds and recheck. This proceedure is to be done on a hot engine to check proper oil level.

If you were suspecting water in your oil then the oil on your dipstick would be milky.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    If you were suspecting water in your oil then the oil on your dipstick would be milky.

If it has set for a long time it won't be milky.If you start it up for a few seconds then check it.If it still looks like oil then you are fine.

You can get antifreeze in the oil from the water pump and not have a blown head gasket.Most of the time a head gasket fails it will push the water out the bottle.

Easiest way to see if its a head gasket is to do a cylinder leakage test. You can probably get a leakage tester from a auto zone but I'm not sure.

+1

Thumbs up

Crank it up, if there are bubbles in the puke tank,,,head/gasket has problems. Leak down tests suck. I go for the easy win.

+1
    I agree on the leak down tester. I tried one recently and I couldn't tell how far to rock the crank. I didn't learn very much with the tester myself.

Were you at TDC? If not then you will get a inaccurate reading. Its not rocket science nor hard to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information