Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bogging sl650

Bogging sl650

Bogging

I find when I'm wave jumping or in rough water this doesn't happen but when I'm on flat water and I pin the throttle a few second later it just dies, I have to let off and rev it a few times then it comes back.

Could this been bad fuel lines? or?

Wounding what I should do to get this thing tip top for spring?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What maintenance and checks have you done already?

Fuel pump changed?
    Fuel lines changed?
    Cleaned and checked thermostat and pop-off plunger?

Have you checked engine compression?
    Which spark plugs are you using?

Does the engine start running roughly when it drops RPM, like it would if there was an overheat RPM limiter cutting in?
    Does the over-temperature buzzer sound?
    What model year is your SL650?

Click here for the 1992-1998 Service manual.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    NOT GOOD!!!!!

Engine dies at WOT is more than likely a seizure of some sort. Or not enough gas.

Either way spells problems.

Remove the autocock if still installed.

Clean/inspect the fuel petcock.

Replace fuel hoses if questionable, filters included.

Replace fuel pump with triple outlet.

Thoroughly clean/rebuild the carbs.

Remove thermostat if still installed.

Background of the ski..

I have the sbt fuel pump kit installed a few years ago.

Not all the fuel lines are replace, I think that's my first set with a filter change of course as well.

I'm using the factory recommended plugs I've read that it runs better with a different heat range so I figure I was going to try them this year.

Starts great, runs fine, compression is good, its basically running out of fuel is the best way to describe it. But it only seems to happen on flat water, in the 2-3ft chop I never notice it.

Questions..

T stat, didn't know if had one actually? So I should remove it?

I would love to rebuild the carbs but I tried to get the stupid things off like 5 years ago and I couldn't get at some of the bolt so I would have to look at a manual or something to figure that out. I actually took it to the dealer and had them rebuilt about 4-5 years ago. I don't think its a carb issue though but you never know.

Ok the autocock http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=4&B=15
    #4 I'm not familiar with it, but your saying I should remove it?

Petcock, I guess I could remove and clean it, I do remember when I was out one time it started bogging and just to test it I put it on reserve and I couldn't get it started for a while after, not sure what that means.
    Last edited by crxski; 04-02-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: petcock details

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crxski View Post
    Background of the ski..

I have the sbt fuel pump kit installed a few years ago.

Not all the fuel lines are replace, I think that's my first set with a filter change of course as well.

I'm using the factory recommended plugs I've read that it runs better with a different heat range so I figure I was going to try them this year.

Starts great, runs fine, compression is good, its basically running out of fuel is the best way to describe it. But it only seems to happen on flat water, in the 2-3ft chop I never notice it.

Questions..

T stat, didn't know if had one actually? So I should remove it?

I would love to rebuild the carbs but I tried to get the stupid things off like 5 years ago and I couldn't get at some of the bolt so I would have to look at a manual or something to figure that out. I actually took it to the dealer and had them rebuilt about 4-5 years ago. I don't think its a carb issue though but you never know.

Ok the autocock http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=4&B=15
    #4 I'm not familiar with it, but your saying I should remove it?

Petcock, I guess I could remove and clean it, I do remember when I was out one time it started bogging and just to test it I put it on reserve and I couldn't get it started for a while after, not sure what that means.
    Thermostat is inside the black plastic piece bolted to the under side of the cooling bar. (water hose connects to it)

If it's feeling like it's running out of gas, it may be the carbs. There are 6 nuts on the under side of the carbs holding them to the intake manifold. A 12mm stubby wrench works best to remove them. (place a towel under the carbs so, if you drop a nut it won't roll under the engine) Access the rear nuts from the back side and the front from under the hood.

If you have the autocok (looks like a small fuel pump) usually mounted right next to the fuel pump, remove it. There was a Polaris service bulletin about doing this.

Petcock seals dry up and leak air into the fuel system, or plug filters from it crumbling.

Also check the hoses inside the gas tank if you have them. They tend to fall off after time.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Thermostat is inside the black plastic piece bolted to the under side of the cooling bar. (water hose connects to it)

If it's feeling like it's running out of gas, it may be the carbs. There are 6 nuts on the under side of the carbs holding them to the intake manifold. A 12mm stubby wrench works best to remove them. (place a towel under the carbs so, if you drop a nut it won't roll under the engine) Access the rear nuts from the back side and the front from under the hood.

If you have the autocok (looks like a small fuel pump) usually mounted right next to the fuel pump, remove it. There was a Polaris service bulletin about doing this.

Petcock seals dry up and leak air into the fuel system, or plug filters from it crumbling.

Also check the hoses inside the gas tank if you have them. They tend to fall off after time.
    Sounds like a plan, I'll do all of it minus the carbs then test it and then do the carbs if it still has an issue.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post up in a few weeks what I find out.

+1
    If you still have any of the old gray fuel line on there change it out!!! Make sure the check valve is still there in the return line! Had a lot of simaler problems with my slt750 Guys on the forum got me striaght. Trashed the autoclock installed new triple pump, changed out all fuel lines. Now she starts right up. and runs great!!! Good luck with her!!!!

Ok so did a bunch of work on it on the weekend, but I didn't get any fuel system work done, just the coupler issue I was having.

Anyways the autocok is that the one bolted to the under side of the intake? It looks like a mini fuel pump, anyways if that it I'll have to look into re routing the fuel lines onces its removed.

+1
    It does look like a mini fuel pump. Usually mounted right next to the pump.

Remove it and relocate the hoses as necessary.

+1
    If you need a triple outlet fuel pump I have an extra one from a 96 slx780. I would just bypass the on/off all together, they tend to go bad and its one of those things that is sort of pointless. Just rout your line right into the fuel/water seperator then to your fuel pump. Hope this helps Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information