+1

cant start a 2000 gtx/rfi 800

i just bought a 2000 gtx/rfi for the wife. i got it for cheap because the guy couldn't get it started after he parked it for a year. it will turn over fine but will not fire up. when i put the key on the post, i can hear the fuel pump whine for about 2secs, so i assume that its working. any other ideas?

+1
    Checked for spark and it's all good there. I just don't think any fuel is getting to the motor. But I don't know where to start on these rfi's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    Checked for spark and it's all good there. I just don't think any fuel is getting to the motor. But I don't know where to start on these rfi's.
    Have you checked the compression? Has the ski been winterized/fogged?

check that fuel comes out of the fuel line where it connects to to the fuel rail, if not and you do hear the pump working for 2 secconds,
    it might be a very dirty pump (2 filters) from the years of dirty fuel and water getting in the tank. First remove the fuel pump and replace the fuel filter that clips onto the bottom, but wait there's more, you then need a 1/8 drill bit on a drill out the 3 rivets unclip the 3 clips that hold the two parts together and diss-assemble the pump, the rivets you drilled out hold a cast alluminium peice where the outer filter clipped onto but on the inside of it there is another filter be very carefull with the cast bit as they can break too , now don't break inner filter either as you cant buy them, it will need a clean.
    I've seen so many clogged up, I hope this helps and you will be shocked at the amount of crud that is in there if this is your problem

+1
    Thanks winterstick. It does have a good stream at the rail on power up. But I will clean it anyway to be safe.

But it just got worse. The motor is locked up tight. Took the head off and it could use a top end. Got the blocks off hoping that would free it up with no luck. I am 0-2 for locked up cranks. I guess I will have two motors on the table being rebuilt this weekend. Just my luck.

+1
    ok, opinon time.

i have heard some bad things with the rfi's so its got me thinking. what would be a better choice? rebuild the rfi....or...throw in a carbed 800? 951 maybe?

i am looking for cost effectiveness, maintence, and above all relieability. this will be the wifes ski so no mods planed just your everyday driver.

thoughts?

+1
    so no one has any opinions? thats hard to believe.

The RFI has its problems but to convert to Carbs opens a can of worms.. Its more a question of how much time and money do you have. Lots of both go for it. What whill it cost to rebuild verses what it will cost to rebuild and by carbs and different cylinders a fuel tank and baffle. You can hack it up or do a good job it your choice.

Thread Information