Cool Titanium coated impeller and wear ring?

Hi everyone, seriously love your forums bla blah blah, this is my first post and in the past i have just let the dealer take care of my ski but am getting tired of throwing money away.

Anyway I have read heaps on here about plastic vs stainless wear rings and impeller wear etc.

IGuess if itspossible its been done allready but what i am thinking is if it is a plausible concept to have a solid front motor mount with titanium or similar coated steel wear ring and impeller to promote long life and keep my ski hooked up out of the hole for more than a few weeks?

I just read a little about superhard coatings and got thinking.

http://www.csiro.au/resources/ps33x.html#properties

+1
    Interesting concept but it wouldn't be cheap and the wear ring is there for a reason. That's why it's called the "wear" ring. It's a sacrificial component. A steel wear ring causes the prop to become the sacrificial component. I guess it's all personal preference.

+1
    Also another point is that you need a weak point. If say you suck a stone then something has to give. If your running a plastic liner then in most cases the liner will take the bashing. If running a steel liner then something else has to give and it doesnt leave many options. Prop or your drive shaft. Bothe are expensive to replace. This is the reason for plastic liners and the reason im sticking with them. R88

Datarig, ever sucked up a stone or debris?

Trust me...Go plastic and replace as necessary. Not a fan of metal wear rings whatsoever.

+1
    Lets just get Stellite 21-tipped props and Nitronic 60 wear rings. Don't bother asking the price...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Lets just get Stellite 21-tipped props and Nitronic 60 wear rings. Don't bother asking the price...

+1
    data, best solution for you if you are that hard on your equipment, goin thru wear rings etc...
    1. learn what is killing your rings and stop doing it??? suckin up debris, shallow water starts, whatever, you are doin something wrong if your ring is trashed after only a few weeks a few hours of use.
    2. learn how to swap a pump impeller and wear ring, its really easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    stop paying dealer for simple easy repair like this, for what you pay the dealer once you can buy at least 5 wear rings.
    PS usually each wear ring can be used twice, by flipping it around, unless you totally chew the $hit out of it with rocks or something, simple trick, save big bux.
    are you getting new impellers with wear rings at the dealer??

Thread Information