Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

n00b in training

Hey all,

been lurking for a while and finally decided to say "hi". I don't currently own a PWC (friends all do), but I am on the hunt. Went and looked at a Kaw 900zxi yesterday, actually. Guy said it had a melted piston but ran ok.... When I started to look at it, I could tell one of the rod bearings went out and the cylinder ate it for lunch. Dome was obliterated, piston was MISSING pieces then I found some pieces of the block where there was a hole punched in it... So the search continues.....Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that I am learning a whole lot! Thanks for a great place for VERY valuable info!

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

+1
    Welcome to GH!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLK MAJK View Post
    Hey all,

been lurking for a while and finally decided to say "hi".

I don't currently own a PWC (friends all do), but I am on the hunt...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Are you favoring specific brands or PWC size?

Will you be doing your own repair work?

What is your budget for purchase, repairs, and maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Are you favoring specific brands or PWC size?

Will you be doing your own repair work?

What is your budget for purchase, repairs, and maintenance?
    Ideally (but not dead set), I want a 96 Seadoo XP. My friend has one and it is an absolute blast. Great power to weight ratio and very nimble. Plus he knows everything about them, so that helps!

I thought about a Seadoo HX, but figured the wife may want to go out with me sometime. She has no desire to drive one, just ride occasionally. Definitely don't want a couch either, just too big for what I need.

All repair work will be done by me and my buddy. As I said above he has gone through his before. We are also big automotive gearheads. My wife drives a semi-modded '07 Trailblazer SS and I'm working on my truck which is getting a 383 and 6-speed trans. I am a mechanical engineer by trade. I have no fears about tearing one down and rebuilding. Especially when I have this forum as a fountain on knowledge!

For inital investment, I would like somethign I can have running for less than $1500 with a trailer. As for mods and maintenance, it definitely won't stay stock, whatever it is (just dont tell my wife ).

I am actually talking to a guy with a 96 XP that was completely torn down to get painted and he doesn't have the time to put it back together. The engine internals are all new (upgraded) and it comes with modded parts (UMI steering, Worx Sponsons, R&D intake grate, yada, yada). That is my current investigation. I made an excel sheet with every single major component I could think of and made sure he has it, so I dont have any surprise parts missing.

+1
    Hey all,

been lurking for a while and finally decided to say "hi". I don't currently own a PWC (friends all do), but I am on the hunt. Went and looked at a Kaw 900zxi yesterday, actually. Guy said it had a melted piston but ran ok.... When I started to look at it, I could tell one of the rod bearings went out and the cylinder ate it for lunch. Dome was obliterated, piston was MISSING pieces then I found some pieces of the block where there was a hole punched in it... So the search continues.....Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that I am learning a whole lot! Thanks for a great place for VERY valuable info!

welcome to the hulk!!!!

Ideally (but not dead set), I want a 96 Seadoo XP. My friend has one and it is an absolute blast. Great power to weight ratio and very nimble. Plus he knows everything about them, so that helps!

I thought about a Seadoo HX, but figured the wife may want to go out with me sometime. She has no desire to drive one, just ride occasionally. Definitely don't want a couch either, just too big for what I need.

All repair work will be done by me and my buddy. As I said above he has gone through his before. We are also big automotive gearheads. My wife drives a semi-modded '07 Trailblazer SS and I'm working on my truck which is getting a 383 and 6-speed trans. I am a mechanical engineer by trade. I have no fears about tearing one down and rebuilding. Especially when I have this forum as a fountain on knowledge!

For inital investment, I would like somethign I can have running for less than $1500 with a trailer. As for mods and maintenance, it definitely won't stay stock, whatever it is (just dont tell my wife ).

I am actually talking to a guy with a 96 XP that was completely torn down to get painted and he doesn't have the time to put it back together. The engine internals are all new (upgraded) and it comes with modded parts (UMI steering, Worx Sponsons, R&D intake grate, yada, yada). That is my current investigation. I made an excel sheet with every single major component I could think of and made sure he has it, so I dont have any surprise parts missing.
    here's my honest opinion...in 96 seadoo introduce the x4 hull(some were realeased in 95 but it's very rare to find 95 x4 hull with the 800 motor) for 1500 with the modded parts it sounds like a good deal. The general rule with two strokes and modified parts, that's when you start to lose reliability, the 800 motor in the xp you're looking at(also known as 785 or 787 motor) is very reliable in it's stock form and should reach speeds of about 58mph give or take a few mph...there's alot of experts here on the seadoo two strokes!

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    welcome to the hulk!!!!

here's my honest opinion...in 96 seadoo introduce the x4 hull(some were realeased in 95 but it's very rare to find 95 x4 hull with the 800 motor) for 1500 with the modded parts it sounds like a good deal. The general rule with two strokes and modified parts, that's when you start to lose reliability, the 800 motor in the xp you're looking at(also known as 785 or 787 motor) is very reliable in it's stock form and should reach speeds of about 58mph give or take a few mph...there's alot of experts here on the seadoo two strokes!
    As far as the engine parts, it sounds like it will be in stock form, just new parts (motor is not assembled yet). Hot Rods crank, WSM top end (trying to find out if it is the OEM style or the platinums), new SBT counterbalance, prok air filters and prefilters. Still waiting to find out about the jugs and heads and if they are milled/bored or modified in anyway. I looked at a 95 XP800, but the guy must have thought it was made of gold because he wanted WAAAAAY too much.

+1
    As far as the engine parts, it sounds like it will be in stock form, just new parts (motor is not assembled yet). Hot Rods crank, WSM top end (trying to find out if it is the OEM style or the platinums), new SBT counterbalance, prok air filters and prefilters. Still waiting to find out about the jugs and heads and if they are milled/bored or modified in anyway. I looked at a 95 XP800, but the guy must have thought it was made of gold because he wanted WAAAAAY too much.
    yeah i have a 95 xp800, they only produced 800 or so world wide and they were made for racer's only(in other words certain dealerships got a max of 2 to sell)

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you can pick up a very nice 96XP for $1500 with a trailer and minimal work to make it reliable. Ipicked mine up for $1200 with an aluminum trailer and all I had to do was change the fuel lines out and clean the carbs...good as new!

+1
    welcome to the forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information