Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Supercharger help PLEASE

This forum has been very instrumental in helping me get a great price and make the decision to get an Ultra 250 and now I need your help again.
    I took my 250 to the dealer for them to replace the nose piece under warranty due to a defective hinge on the glove box. They called and told me that after replacing the nose piece they tried to start my ski and found my Supercharger was locked up due to corrosion and that it's NOT covered under warranty due to improper winterization. I live in Texas and we ride almost all yr long. I flush the engine the entire time I'm washing the exterior. The ski has been setting in the garage for about 4 months but in those for months I have taken it out and ran the engine (with cooling water) for about 30 minutes at a time at least once a month.
    The ski is less than a year old and has about 25 hours on it.
    The Dealer told me I was to fog the engine with oil to prevent corrosion. I said it hasn't been sitting long enough for corrosion to be building up that soon. I have 2 four wheelers and an old Polaris jet ski and I've never had an issue with corrosion and they have been sitting alot longer.
    Can someone please give me some advise on what to do. They want $1500 for a new supercharger plus labor!!!! Help please!!!

Ouch

That’s brutal… I am in Houston as well – what dealer are you using?

Firstly, your boat is less than a year old – that’s BS the dealer is treating you that way. The dealer & Kawasaki should stand by the product and do a warranty replacement. Maybe try a different dealer. Your boat is so new I might even consider legal action.
    IMO it is ridiculous for a SC to seize up at 25 hours/ less than a year…

It is my experience (at least in Texas) that all dealers are…shall I say ‘subpar’ to be polite. Especially their service departments = crappy service and very expensive.
    I had one dealer tell me last year that even though they sell PWCs, they only care about 4-wheeler and motorcycle customers b/c the ‘profit margins’ were so much higher on those products.
    Thus ‘they give crappy customer service to the PWC customers’ (his words, not mine)

Our family has a bunch of skis - Kawasaki Ultras, Hondas R12-Xs, FX SHO’s etc…
    I learned a long time ago not bother with the dealers and their service departments.
    Every time I dropped a ski off for service it would take weeks to get the boat back, the job would be incomplete/ done poorly and the PWC trailer would be ‘beat-to-heck’.
    The ‘kids’ they hire to move those boats and trailers around the dealer lots treat them like bumper cars…literally never got a trailer back that did not have some sort of damage or smashed trailer lights etc…

Thankfully, I am mechanically inclined enough to perform 90% of any type of maintenance or service these boats require…so I have not been to a dealer for service in years ( :

As far as changing the supercharger out and since we are both in Houston – I would be glad to help you (free labor)…
    But not sure what to tell you as far getting a discount on the new parts…
    Babbits Online lists a new SC at $1237 USD…ouch

+1
    1. Sorry to hear about your issues with the s/c. I was out of warranty and had to pay out of the pocket for a new one. Im pretty sure you can free up the stuck charger.

2. I go to Houston then over to Crystal Beach every yr around aug or sept. If I can bring my ski, need to meet up with you guys to ride.

Quick update

First off, I like the service guy at the dealer but I guess this is really the first time I've had an issue so never had any dealings other than just talking with him about things.
    I have bought my Meanstreak from them, I had a friend talk to them about using them for sponsors on a racing team, I had someone from this forum ask me where I bought it from and he came (from Dallas I think) and purchased one. So you would think I would be considered a "good" customer.
    UPDATE: The service guy just called me back and said that he has talked with (his quote) "one of the nicer guys" at Kawasaki and they said to pull off the Supercharger and if it can be freed up and lubed that they will cover the labor.
    I'll keep you posted... lets pray for good news and good service!!
    But I will tell you that I found a service bulletin on here that does state if you're storing your ski for 30 days you must fog the supercharger.
    30 DAYS!!!

+1
    every new owner misses all the important info on the top of the forum glad you found all but a little too late

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
    But I will tell you that I found a service bulletin on here that does state if you're storing your ski for 30 days you must fog the supercharger.
    30 DAYS!!!
    Yep..Many of us fog it after every ride as well.

Good luck!

+1
    This may sound stupid but what do you mean by "fogging" the supercharger with oil?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
    This may sound stupid but what do you mean by "fogging" the supercharger with oil?
    Step away from the jetski and read the tech section ontop of these posts

Waz

+1
    you can fix it yourself. it can sieze in only 2 weeks if you have ingested water in the intake, I have learnt from our valued brothers fog after every ocean ride at least.

1. I fog after every ride and ride in only salt water. 170 hours on my ski and only lost a belt so far. Oh yeah, seen some in Hawaii who don't fog, replaced supercharger.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information