Supercharger help PLEASE

This forum has been very instrumental in helping me get a great price and make the decision to get an Ultra 250 and now I need your help again.
    I took my 250 to the dealer for them to replace the nose piece under warranty due to a defective hinge on the glove box. They called and told me that after replacing the nose piece they tried to start my ski and found my Supercharger was locked up due to corrosion and that it's NOT covered under warranty due to improper winterization. I live in Texas and we ride almost all yr long. I flush the engine the entire time I'm washing the exterior. The ski has been setting in the garage for about 4 months but in those for months I have taken it out and ran the engine (with cooling water) for about 30 minutes at a time at least once a month.
    The ski is less than a year old and has about 25 hours on it.
    The Dealer told me I was to fog the engine with oil to prevent corrosion. I said it hasn't been sitting long enough for corrosion to be building up that soon. I have 2 four wheelers and an old Polaris jet ski and I've never had an issue with corrosion and they have been sitting alot longer.
    Can someone please give me some advise on what to do. They want $1500 for a new supercharger plus labor!!!! Help please!!!

Kawa 250 supercharger

Hi, Funny u mention this problem. In the Uk I've heard of it on a couple of occassions. It appears that the supercharger body is made of alloy and the rotors are hard plastic coated. the alloy body gets a build up of corrosion during the winter caused by damp in the ski and this jams up the supercharger. My guy took off the pipes and liberally fogged up the supercharger while turning the engine over but not firing it up.
    I pick it up tomorrow after service and further tuning mods so presume all is ok. My understanding is that Kawa UK are aware of this problem and will replace the supercharger on the first occurence but after that its down to you. This surely should apply in the States. My guy also mentioned that during the winter it would be a very good idea to turn the engine and therefore the supercharger over a few times during the lay up period.
    Hope this helps; dont drop your complaint against Kawa US this is an inherant fault in the manufacture and supply of these machines. NO MENTION WHATSOEVER IN THEIR MANUAL TO AVOID THIS INHERANT PROBLEM.
    Best regards,
    John

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by huddj View Post
    Hi, Funny u mention this problem. In the Uk I've heard of it on a couple of occassions. It appears that the supercharger body is made of alloy and the rotors are hard plastic coated. the alloy body gets a build up of corrosion during the winter caused by damp in the ski and this jams up the supercharger. My guy took off the pipes and liberally fogged up the supercharger while turning the engine over but not firing it up.
    I pick it up tomorrow after service and further tuning mods so presume all is ok. My understanding is that Kawa UK are aware of this problem and will replace the supercharger on the first occurence but after that its down to you. This surely should apply in the States. My guy also mentioned that during the winter it would be a very good idea to turn the engine and therefore the supercharger over a few times during the lay up period.
    Hope this helps; dont drop your complaint against Kawa US this is an inherant fault in the manufacture and supply of these machines. NO MENTION WHATSOEVER IN THEIR MANUAL TO AVOID THIS INHERANT PROBLEM.
    Best regards,
    John
    Sorry to say but it's not a INHERANT FAULT
    more like a lack of infomation being provided by the dealers/manual!

Yes they tell the customer to FOG the engine but at NOTpoint do they stress how important it is to do this process,
    The supercharger has done nothing wrong, it didnt get the moisture in it by itself,

And before everybody get mad at me , I am on your side , I am just lucky enough to have had ROOTS supercharged engines on boats before.

So yes its great if KAWI replaces , but it will only be under good will from them, But I do agree a better / bigger and clearer explaination will help other in the future.

I have now just got into the practice of fogging after each ride to some degree.

Waz

PS I would find another dealer, maybe even worth going 4 a drive,

you can unstick them aswell if at the end of this they say NO

Just fogg the charger as soon as you can to prevent anymore corrision from forming while you try warranty claim process

See where u are coming from; same as an engine where we all know where we stand when we lay up our machines for the winter. Agree wholeheartly that Kawasaki should put instructions in their manual that the Roots type supercharger should be fogged at the same time as the engine when laying up. AS they haven't then surely they cannot expect to waive any liability when the product supplied by them missfunctions within the guarantee period because it didn't like a bit of damp. I see this as being a similar saga to the Seadoos and their ceramic supercharger washers.
    Picked my ski up recently after annual service and further mods; baby running very well. Luckily I have a very good and well informed dealer who I would not consider leaving.
    Regards

Thread Information