Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 virage 700 electrical issue help

Let me give a brief history of the problem.

Ski ran fine but the bilge pump ran all the time so I replaced the LR module.

With fresh battery and new LR module ski at first wouldent start until I hit the bilge switch and start button together. Then died.did this one more time and problem went away. Put about an hour on the ski and coming in the canal ski died. Started again using the bilge switch trick but wont stay running unless you hold the switch or get it to about 2500. I say about becouse when it staled this last time the tach also quit even when running up to speed without holding the bilge switch.

Any tips or secrets out there? I have downloaded the 03 manual which is the newest I could find It should work.

My guess is the LR was bad out of the box. Or CDI is bad or triger??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is it possible you connected the LR module incorrectly?

Swapping the Red/Purple and Orange wires could cause the symptoms you describe.

Are you 100% sure the LR ground connection is solid?

Did you check the battery voltage with the engine running, after installing the new LR module?

If the entire MFI display is blank, check for blown fuses and tripped circuit breakers.

LR is hooked up properly.

ski is charging

the rest of the gauge works only the tack is out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopski View Post
    LR is hooked up properly.

ski is charging

the rest of the gauge works only the tack is out
    Was the battery in need of charging?

I think there is a problem with the charging circuit.

The Yellow wire that the MFI/MFD monitors for engine RPM is the same Yellow wire used by the LR module to control battery charge voltage. If there is no AC signal on the Yellow wire, then the MFI will not display RPM.

Follow the procedure in the service manual to check the stator charging coil, and carefully check the wire connections in the charging circuit;
    Yellow
    Red/Purple
    LR ground connection (should be zero ohms from LR to battery negative post)
    Orange

Also check the black wire from the electrical box to the stator (which in turn is grounded to the engine block).

Charging. I meant last time I checked it was charging the battery when ski is running. Though I shouldn't say that because I havent done any tests since this problem ocured.

Do you know if I can cross parts between years? I ask because there is a ski graveyard not far from here and the guy says he has 02 and 03 ski's I can plobably get it going tomorow

+1
    ...Do you know if I can cross parts between years?

I ask because there is a ski graveyard not far from here and the guy says he has 02 and 03 ski's I can probably get it going tomorrow
    Often you can swap parts.
    Need to be a bit careful with the electrical stuff, but often even then you can still do it, as long you understand the differences.

Click here for a Polaris web site that allows you to look up a part, then click on Usage to see what other models/years it was also used on.

thats a great link!! it says the stator is the same back to 2000 but the cdi is only 03 04 thanks

+1
    ...the cdi is only 03 04 thanks
    CDI?

I thought we were talking about the LR voltage regulator module?

The LR is brand new I dont want to belive its bad out of the box. Though I've seen worse. The LR crosse back to 01. I was leaning more towards a bad stator or cdi. Why does it look like a LR problem?

+1
    Let me give a brief history of the problem.

Ski ran fine but the bilge pump ran all the time so I replaced the LR module.

With fresh battery and new LR module ski at first wouldn't start until I hit the bilge switch and start button together. Then died. did this one more time and problem went away.

Put about an hour on the ski and coming in the canal ski died. Started again using the bilge switch trick but wont stay running unless you hold the switch or get it to about 2500. ...
    My guess is the LR was bad out of the box.
    Or CDI is bad or trigger??
    ...the rest of the gauge works only the tach is out
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...I think there is a problem with the charging circuit.

The Yellow wire that the MFI/MFD monitors for engine RPM is the same Yellow wire used by the LR module to control battery charge voltage. If there is no AC signal on the Yellow wire, then the MFI will not display RPM...
    The LR is brand new I don't want to believe its bad out of the box. Though I've seen worse. The LR crossed back to 01. I was leaning more towards a bad stator or cdi.
    Why does it look like a LR problem?
    You changed the LR module, and the ski did not start and run properly.

You needed to hold the bilge button down to start the engine, which should not be necessary with a properly working LR module.

You have not confirmed correct charging voltage since changing the LR module.

Is it possible that some wires in the electrical box have been disturbed, or re-connected differently than they should be?

Compare the wiring diagram in the Service Manual with the actual wiring inside the electrical box, and confirm the ground wiring is actually grounded, right through to the battery negative post.

Either the wiring has a problem, the stator charging coil has a problem, or the LR module has a problem.

The CDI module has nothing to do with the tachometer function of the MFI display. Engine RPM is directly measured from the Yellow wire, which is part of the charging system.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...Follow the procedure in the service manual to check the stator charging coil, and carefully check the wire connections in the charging circuit;
    Yellow
    Red/Purple
    LR ground connection (should be zero ohms from LR to battery negative post)
    Orange

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information