Gel Coat Question

Hey everyone,

I have an 03' GP1300R that I just bought but the paint is rough. The guy I bought it from didn't take care of it much and it shows. The stickers need to be replaced, there are about 20 nicks, dents etc. all over the place, blistering in the foot wells and some discoloration. I ordered new hydro turf and I am thinking that maybe I should just pull all the stickers off and sand down the whole ski and re-gel coat it. I am a super handy guy and am not afraid to tackle the project but I was looking to see if anyone has done this here.

If you have any advice or helpful tips I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    most guys have been painting rather than gelcoating. how bad are the nicks?

check this out first.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ht=touch+paint

A good portion are right through the gel coat and into the glass.

Why would folks paint and not gel coat? I thought gel coat was a stronger finish.

n

+1
    ski is not gelcoat. it is SMC. you need to repair with marine tex, sand and paint

SMC? What does that stand for?

Answer to my own question:

A new composite material is gaining widespread use in the automotive, industrial, and personal watercraft markets that presents unique repair problems. It is called SMC, or Sheet Molded Compound. Recognizing SMC from other types of FRP composites
    is critical so the proper repair can be performed. Parts made with SMC are produced in compression molds, so they are smooth on both the inside and outside. That is the first clue to look for when identifying them. Next, SMC parts do not have an outer gel coat, but they are usually painted or color molded. When the paint is sanded off, the underlying surface has a marble appearance. Finally, when damaged SMC is sanded, short coarse fibers are exposed and a dryer powdery dust is produced compared to conventional materials. These hints will make SMC identification quite straightforward. SMC is a polyester-based material, but it cannot be repaired with polyester resin. This is due to the mold release agent that is present throughout the entire SMC part. Unlike conventionally molded parts where release agents are applied to the mold surface, SMC is compounded with them in the resin mix for quicker processing. This means that as the damage is sanded to prepare a good bonding surface, fresh mold release agent is exposed. Polyester resin products are not strong enough to adhere to this surface. SMC SHOULD ONLY BE REPAIRED USING EPOXY-BASED RESINS, FILLERS AND ADHESIVES. When painting, use only catalyzed type paint systems. Once the extent of the damage and the type of material used is known, determine if the part should be repaired or replaced. If the manufacturer’s specifications are available, check whether the damaged area is too large to be repaired. If no information can be reviewed, make a quick estimate of the materials and labor time needed for the repair and compare the figure to the price of a new part. A savings of at least 50 percent is the typical cut-off point to warrant proceeding with the repair.

So new question...what is a "catalyzed type paint system" considered to be?

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22098 and colorrite.com has the paint for the ski. Its expensive though

+1
    I used the color rite paint and it turned out great.

Thread Information