Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two GP800 Question: Oil block off and porpoising

Hi, I just picked up a 99 GP800, It's in pretty good condition overall, but its been fouling out the spark plugs and running a bit too smokey so i purchased an oil block off plate.. Oil block off plate is installed, but it still has a half tank of gas (unmixed). I realized i can mix the gas while it is still in the tank, but the gas left in the line is still oil-free. I don't want to hurt my motor so how should i go about starting it? I should have thought of this before installation :P Also, it has the stock ride plate, until i upgrade where should i put the washers? On the two bolts on the rear? THANKS!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by the destroyer View Post
    Hi, I just picked up a 99 GP800, It's in pretty good condition overall, but its been fouling out the spark plugs and running a bit too smokey so i purchased an oil block off plate.. Oil block off plate is installed, but it still has a half tank of gas (unmixed). I realized i can mix the gas while it is still in the tank, but the gas left in the line is still oil-free. I don't want to hurt my motor so how should i go about starting it? I should have thought of this before installation :P Also, it has the stock ride plate, until i upgrade where should i put the washers? On the two bolts on the rear? THANKS!
    You have been running to much oil so just mix it in the tank and dont worry about the oil free gas in the line.
    Your crank case is saturated with oil you will be fine.
    If your worried drain the gas from the line and add oil through the air box.

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    How about some pics of this 800?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    You have been running to much oil so just mix it in the tank and dont worry about the oil free gas in the line.
    Your crank case is saturated with oil you will be fine.
    If your worried drain the gas from the line and add oil through the air box.
    +1 like scott said no worrys u will be fine.

the ride plate is setup for you ski and is something you will have to work out. Start by shimming the front of the plate close to the intake grate. Once you have this set start running your ski and add washers to the rear of the plate until the porposing goes away....
    from here you can make small changes to tweek for more speed.

Thanks guys, going to go test it out in a few.. By shimming you mean grinding away a small bit right? So I want the nose-end of the plate to sit closer to the hull and the rear further away, correct? I'll post pics shortly too!

Shit... One of the bolts on the ride plate has stripped threads. The head of the bolt is still good, but it just spins in the hull. Anyone have any good bolt extractor tips for something like this?

an insert may have spun.. you can try to lever down on the plate and see if the insert will reseat enough to enable you to unscrew.. most of the early inserts were only glued ( sealer ) in place .. they sit in a hex type of hole.. if you had pushed up while trying to remove you may have pushed it out from the backside.. if you can look down from the inside on that one you may see it clearly..if you see it clearly you may be able to get a vice grip or a pinch style stud extractor on it, to hold it, while you unscrewfrom the bottom ..

and no grinding on the plate bolt mount area unless the plate sets to far down... shimming brings the plate down to pick up the back and drive the nose down or picks up the whole ski depending on what your particular set up demands thru testing on the water..

im sorry by shimming we mean putting washers under the plate to drop it down and give it angle..... the angle part is where the work is at.

I have a 99 gp800 also I been reading best thing if junk the stock in take and ride plate and put a R&D intake and pro series ride plate. That supposed to help with the proposing alot. With it smoking alot and foiling plugs try leaning it out a little. Amsoil oil you can run lean and be safe. What ratio you going to be running? 32:1 what most people run it seems I run 40:1 or 50:1, but that once it broke in.

Thanks for clarifiying the "shimming" situation guys, I think tested out the ski after going to premix, it definitly helped with smoking and the plugs look good after running.
    I might just bite bullet and get an aftermarket ride plate, but i still need to work on the ski some more to get her 100%.

Currently, I'm having some problems with the ski running at WOT. It will get up and move for a second or two at high rpms, then just bog down to around 4,000rpms, and then shoots back up. I'm guessing a vacuum leak or carbs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information