Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fuel consumption

I know this can be a dumb question, but i ask anyway.

Such a big machine is such a big fuel drinker... I know you guys will say that I should not complain because I bought it and I should live with it... or that I should have bought a smaller machine... But...

Anyway, this thing is eating more fuel than I first tought it would... And much more than what the dealer told me it would...

Any tricks on how to improve gaz mileage? and No; not using it is not a good plan!!! I live up north in Quebec in canada, and the 91 octane fuel is VERY expensive... I'm at 3hr utilisation, so im still in breakin and i never go over 6500rpm, so its not because im always WOT.

+1
    At least you don't have to mix expensive two stroke oil with the fuel.

I find the RXP not that expensive to operate.

Also, you better be getting more than 6500 RPMs during breakin if you want it broke in right.

Some short wide open throttle bursts will help seat those rings properly.

ohh thats neat, the dealer told me to not go over 3/4 throttle.. he also told me to vary the throttle often, just like in the manual...

so you say i should go wide open for short burst? anything else i should do during breakin?

thanks..

+1
    After the first 3 hours i did short 10-15 second bursts of 3/4 throttle.
    After 5 hours i did short 10-15 second bursts of WOT.
    I varried my RPMs all the other times.

If you break it in this way you will have a strong runner.

+1
    Or you can try Jarrett's break-in method. WOT off the trailer. Seriously, Jerry is right about doing WOT runs. I wouldn't recommend Jarrett's method, but it works for him

It can definitely suck down the fuel if you let it. 16.4 gal/hour at WOT if I remember right. But luckily not too many of us can hold WOT for a whole hour straight. lol

But seriously, all things considered the fuel consumption is not all that bad when set side by side with a comparable machine. Sure if you set it next to a stock 165hp ski, the other ski will last a lot longer. But if you set it next to a triple piped yammi, I can almost garantee the yammi is going to use just as much or more fuel than you are. I'm always amazed on the other boards when the people who have these triple piped monsters complain about how much fuel the 4-tecís use.

You canít be picky about such little details when you purchase a ski thatís turning out 215hp out of a little three-cylinder 1500cc engine. Of course itís going to use a lot of fuel.

As far as break in, do what Jerry (Green Hulk) said, and you will be pleased.

I totally understand what you are saying and i agree 100% about the fact that we have 215hp to produce... I am just a little bit disapointed about the fact that it will cost twice in fuel than it will cost in payments to run this thing... it is soo exciting, that i cant stop!!!

+1
    You have to understand that we are paying up to $1.10 a litre which I think works out to close to $4.00 a gallon. It holds 60 litres and you can go through most of it in an hour. That works out to 50 to 60 dollars an hour.
    Where in Quebec are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT
    we are paying up to $1.10 a litre which I think works out to close to $4.00 a gallon.
    Ouch! Remind me not to vacation in Quebec with my sea-doo's! LOL

Fuel prices are absolutely rediculous lately. I can feel for you however. Even though I am only paying about 2.40 per gallon for 91 octane, I can barely afford to go ride as it is.

Luckily, on our family outings, we spend as much time on the beach hanging out as we do on the ski's, so a tank of fuel usually lasts me the better part of a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATADDICT
    You have to understand that we are paying up to $1.10 a litre which I think works out to close to $4.00 a gallon. It holds 60 litres and you can go through most of it in an hour. That works out to 50 to 60 dollars an hour.
    Where in Quebec are you located?
    91 octane is 1.07 here... around the same thing as you have... the problem is that like other people said, its fairly easy to go trought one tank quickly if you dont stop at a beach or in the middle of the lake...

By the way guys, we are in canada here, so we are talking about canadian dollars and canadian fuel price..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information