Thread: Broke crank 66v
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM #1
Broke crank 66v
Well, was wide open in rough water when it shut off. Pulled the motor in the parking lot while the wife rode the XL, broke the # 1 crank pin. I have the R-D ignition, and belive the rev limiter is set at 8000rpm. So, do I get the advent and set it to a lower rpm limit, and lighten the flywheel? Or will the rev limiter be enough to prevent this in the future? Also, can my welded crank be fixed? Thanks guys,
PS had 4 RXP kills and 2 GPR kills as well this weekend before it went bang.
05-29-2006, 10:14 PM #2
Ive got a 66v crank w/ 35 hrs on it. I'll set u up w/ a good price, I need to get rid of it to pay for my new motor.
05-29-2006, 10:21 PM #3
Robsauto2 what all do you have done to your motor? Is this a concern for us guys with a "bolt on" ski? Anything you can do to prevent it?
05-30-2006, 08:09 AM #4
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Texas City, Texas
7500 -7600 with a lightened flywheel has been working.
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM #5
Rob, sorry to see this happen to you.
1. Check for damage on the stator pay close attention to the pick ups. If any damage at all replace with new.
2. The crank can be fixed. Protec can inspect the crank and reweld it and install new snout for around 400 bucs
3. Check the flywheel for any rub marks. If you see any trash it and get a new one.
4. Have a machine shop do a valve grinding job on the back of the new flywheel to relieve the sharp corner that attaches to the crank and most likely causes this type of failure.
5. Dont cut any corners here. I am what you call a snout and flywheel expert. If you dont do this right you could be right back here in as few as 15 hrs more on the ski. You can fix this and you wont suffer this type of failure again. Attention to detail is of the upmost importance. If there is slight damage to any parts on the front of that motor replace the parts.
05-30-2006, 09:36 AM #6
Sucks when you pull the front cover and the flywheel falls off into your hand. I feel for ya bud. I been there done that waaayyy to many times.
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM #7
look closer. The freakin front ROD journal is broke in half.
05-30-2006, 11:05 AM #8
Hey Joe, Mark, Salty, all, thanks for input. Should I get rid of the R-D ignition? The lowest rev limit is 8000 rpm. Also, who can lighten this flywheel?
05-30-2006, 11:08 AM #9
I'm thinking of buying a 05 or 06 GPR and start with nando's package. Will those efi skis run mid 70's with stock cylinders?
05-30-2006, 11:19 AM #10Originally Posted by Robsauto2
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By steach in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 11Last Post: 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
By crashhard in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 2Last Post: 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM
By Vagaondracing103 in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 4Last Post: 07-16-2008, 09:33 PM
By J-ME in forum Yamaha ClassifiedsReplies: 0Last Post: 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
By mjet in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 14Last Post: 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM