Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Slx gray cdi wire

just bought a 2001 Slx with no spark and have been doing some research..i popped open the black box and there is a gray wire that is disconnected? Does this wire need to be connected? i dont believe it has had the pwc 0005 service bulletin performed. thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I take it that you have already found the Polaris Service Manuals and Service Bulletins

The gray wire is used to tell the CDI to invoke RPM limiting, often in response to an engine overheat signal, or in some models low fuel or low oil.
    Edit: Casey is correct - the gray wire in the 2001 SLX is from the stator Hall Effect sensor.
    The engine won't run with the gray wire disconnected from the CDI.

The Tan wire (as Casey pointed out) controls the RPM limiter feature in the CDI.

If the gray wire is disconnected, it may mean the previous owner had a problem that was triggering the RPM limiter, and rather than finding and fixing the problem cause, simply disconnected the gray wire to allow full engine RPM anyway.

The 2001 Service Manual tells you what conditions the would trigger the gray wire to limit RPM. The wiring diagram in the same manual shows where it is supposed to be connected.
    Last edited by K447; 05-07-2009 at 11:52 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, someone had an issue and pulled it off. Put her back on.

If it limits engine RPM tell us what it (Multi Function Display) is showing. We'll help you fix it the right way.

+1
    The grey wire should be from the stator,service manual shows a tan wire for the warning circuit.Deffinetly reconnect the grey wire.
    If it had the bulletin performed,try pushing the bilge button while trying to start.If it starts you need a voltage regulator,this what I had happen for me recently.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The grey wire should be from the stator, service manual shows a tan wire for the warning circuit. Definitely reconnect the grey wire.

If it had the bulletin performed, try pushing the bilge button while trying to start.
    If it starts you need a voltage regulator, this what I had happen for me recently.
    That's what I get for doing something from memory!

Casey is correct - the gray wire in the 2001 SLX is from the stator Hall Effect sensor. The engine won't run with the gray wire disconnected from the CDI.

The Tan wire (as Casey pointed out) controls the RPM limiter feature in the CDI.

Once you get it running, you should apply the service bulletin PWC-00-05, to ensure the CDI will always restart the engine when warm. Essentially, the bulletin change means the CDI is powered from the LR module via the Orange wire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    That's what I get for doing something from memory!
    Considering all the service manuals you have seen lately,it's understandable.

+1
    Considering all the service manuals you have seen lately, it's understandable.

I hadn't thought of it that way...

Let's see - I have looked at every page of every service manual 1999-2001 at least twice...

300 pages * 6 manuals * twice = 3600+ pages

I also added detailed bookmarks to another couple of Service Manual PDFs (2002, 2003, so far). 600+ pages...

Then there are the Parts Manuals, Service Bulletin collection (64 pages), and Wiring diagram collection (84 pages).

And the web pages themselves...

Something over 5,000 pages, I would guess

It was starting to seem like a lot!
    Last edited by K447; 05-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.

+1
    That's even more than I thought you were doing.You definetly have alot- alot- alot more pathience and ability than I have. Again,Thankyou for all your well appreciated effort and skill,you deffinetly made a great library for everyone to use

+1
    The grey wire should be from the stator,service manual shows a tan wire for the warning circuit.Deffinetly reconnect the grey wire.
    If it had the bulletin performed,try pushing the bilge button while trying to start.If it starts you need a voltage regulator,this what I had happen for me recently.

The grey wire from the stator should be connected but the grey wire from the cdi is your limp mode
    Polaris substututed the tan from the cdi with a grey wire ,so if it is the one from the cdi it will not affect you from starting it .

does anyone have the part# cdi and mag upgrade kit for 2000slx?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information