2000 Challenger 2000 intermittent engine cutoff

Took the boat out over spring break week. Challenger with Mercury 240 EFI M2 jet. Day 1 no problems. Day 2 filled up gas tank and during day engine would cut off periodically throughout the day but start right back up and run fine for another 30-45 minutes. Day 3 no problems. At first I thought it was water in the gas after fillup at marina, but since it would start right back up and run probably not that. Any ideas what would cause the enging to cut off abruptly? Perhaps something electrical?

First guess: Fuel filters...

If the fuel filters can't permit enough flow, you could be running off of what is in the vapor separator tank. Eventually the flow difference drains the VST and the engine starves out. You restart, the fuel pump gets a chance to refill the VST to some extent before you start the engine, and the cycle repeats.

I'd replace both external filters unless you've JUST done that, and see if it makes a difference.

We have the same problem! I thought it was fuel related too. I siphoned out about 20 gallons of gas (tasty), changed the fuel filters, and still happened. Everybody can't believe it justs starts right back up. June-July 08' we took it to Cumberland Marine in KY. I told them what it was doing, cutting off and everything. After charging $1,400 (for labor and testing) they told me it was a $12 main relay that was bad. Still, after all of that the boat does the same thing. I can't find anyone to look at it cause the Mercury dealers won't cause it's a Sea Doo and the Sea Doo dealers say it's a Mercury problem/engine related.

Well, it is almost certainly a Mercury engine problem. I can understand why the Seadoo dealers shy away from it.

If it's not fuel delivery related, then think of the things that can cause engine shutoff. Most of them are electrical. First thoughts...

* Ignition switch: If you turned off the key the engine would stop "abruptly". A faulty switch might do it. (And ironically I think that switch comes via Seadoo, not Mercury!)

* Kill switch/lanyard: A bad/failing deadman switch would do this.

* Grounds: A loose ground (battery terminal?) might do it.

* Loose connectors: There are lots of connectors on this engine. A loose one could cause the ECM to protect the engine by shutting it off.

Any of the above could cause abrupt shutoff, but work perfectly seconds later.

My first tests would be the ignition and deadman switches. Grab an ohmmeter, disconnect the leads on them, and test their various connections in each position. Does rattling the key or plunger cause connections to make and break?

Report back!

I'll check on these items and if it happens again I'll report back what I find.

Finally took boat back out last weekend. I changed the spark plugs, disabled the safety lanyard switch, checked ignition switch, and changed out the exhaust hoses. It still continued to cut out at random times. However, toward the end of the day, it ran fine. Only thing I can think of is that I had added fuel stabilizer and Mercury Quick Kleen to the gas and over time, fuel system cleaned up. I think I will just continue to run it and if it acts up again I will check out the vapor separator needle and float and fuel pump filter. I also got a new pick-up coil on standby as i hear the wiring on these can get bad, insulation cracking, but I need to get a flywheel puller first.

Thread Information