2000 Challenger 2k hard to steer?

240 EFI M2 jet. At low speed steering wheel turns easily but it's hard to turn under power at higher speeds. Is this normal and due to a poor design of the steering nozzle or is something not right?

My PWC skis do not have this problem.

Steering can get a "little" harder, but...

...it shouldn't be much different. Check for mechanical interference, especially something when there is rearward pressure on the steering nozzle and thrust reverser (as in when the engine is running). One common problem is interference between the thrust reverser and the steering nozzle... it's easy to adjust but if they can touch at all things can get "stiff".

Report back!

That's good to know. I posted same question on seadooforum and the only reply was it's normal due to thrust, but I don't think poster has challenger M2 experience.

So your stearing effort is the same at all speeds? That is the way it is on my skis so I'm thinking it's eather a poor design or somethings not right. I'll check for interference as you suggest, but I don't see what could be interfereing.

No, I feel a bit more resistance at higher speeds. That's understandable - at WOT I've read there are 60 gallons per **second** passing through the jetdrive. That's a powerful stream of water and anything trying to change its direction is going to feel some resistance! But I don't "notice" it unless I'm thinking about it. If yours is significant, there's something going on.

After adjusting trim, see post http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103087, steering is noticeably easier. Not sure why, but it's much better now.

Thread Information