Thread: air leak?

air leak?

Does anyone know of a way to test for an air leak (base gasket, carb manifold) with the engine still together in the ski?

+1
    Saran wrap the entire ski?

You can do it in the ski, but at a minimum, you need to be able to pull of the exhaust pipe from the manifold and the carbs from the intake to make the blockoffs.

It wouldn't be a bad project, that you could share with us. I'm sure we could help you with any roadblocks you might encouter...

I was afraid there wasn't an easy way. I was hoping for something like spraying starting fluid around the gaskets while it was running (like a car)on the garden hose or something easy like that. I just replaced the top end and changed back over to my stock carbs (which have been sitting on the shelf for a year and a half. The plugs are white. The high screws are 2 turns out and it's still lean. All three plugs are like this.

+1
    Why not try the starter fluid trick? You should use WD-40 instead since the hull is so enclosed, those 3 carbs suck up the whole compartment very fast.

WD-40 won't burn like starter fluid, but it won't vaporize as fast either. If it gets sucked in to the engine, it will increase the idle.... that's all you are looking for any way.

I tried it on my old blaster once and it worked.

WHOA, WHOA, DO NOT USE WD-40 in this way! I'm try to keep you out of the burn unit of your local hospital, not start a fight with anyone. WD-40 is ABSOLUTELY flammable. Most of the articles and posts I've read on pressure testing use something like windex or just water and dish soap. Either of those will bubble and foam up nicely when they hit a leak on a pressurized engine. Best of luck, be careful.

+1
    In this case, the engine is put together and running. The problem is that he has an air leak that shows itself by running badly, and no matter how he tunes it, it still runs lean.

If you use WD-40, it will be sucked into the engine via the leak area and the engine will rev higher as it is running because there is more fuel to be had.

In this way, you MAY find the leak and hopefully fix it without pulling the engine out of the hull.

I used WD-40 on my blaster with the little straw while it was running on the hose. The leak was where we suspected... at the intake manifold and carb rack.

Air can leak in or out depending on the conditions......

I tried the wd-40 last night and I didn't notice a difference with the idle. I personally felt like this was safe as I was running on the garden hose and the exhaust was intact exiting out the back of the ski. I'm probably going to pull off the carbs in the next couple of days and check those. Thanks for the idea.

Well, I don't think I ever had an air leak. I had ridden this thing for the past year with no problems, up until I changed plugs 3 weeks ago and after one 2 mile wot pass I fried two pistons. I rebuilt the top end and richened the high speed screws and it was still hot and the plugs were white. I checked and rechecked everything and still the same thing. Even premixed the tank along with the injection. So, yesterday I put the old plugs back in and took it out. I ran it easy, idled, and wot for over an hr and everything looked fine. My plugs are a nice tan color and the engine can be touched after running hard. The new plugs were ngk br8es-11. Could the plugs have possibly been mislabled and been too hot of a plug? At any rate I think I will check for plug color after every plug change from now on.

Thread Information