Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    seadoodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    83

    2000 Challenger 2000 fuel gauge

    I have noticed that the fuel gauge reads full after filling tank, but when the low fuel alarm goes off at about 1/8 tank, i can look at tank and see that it is still almost 1/2 full. Just wondering if this is normal for this boat or if I need to check or replace the fuel baffle float.


  2. #2

    The fuel baffle in these boats is VERY nonlinear...

    Mine worked for 7+ years and never read completely full nor completely empty. There's an adjustment pot on the back of the gauge but I couldn't trim it to work properly. It's not the gauge, it's the baffle.

    Finally, last year, mine stopped working. I'm sure it's the baffle, but instead of fixing it I pulled the gauge and replaced it with a Humminbird 610 depth gauge. Fits perfectly, looks OEM, and I'd much rather have a depth gauge than a fuel gauge. I am in the habit of always eyeballing the fuel tank before going out anyway, so losing the fuel gauge was no big deal. Adding the depth gauge, however, was REALLY nice.

    If you must have one, replacement OEM baffles are still available but they're more expensive than the depth gauge [smirk]. And I would not expect a new baffle to give better readings than the one you already have!

  3. #3
    seadoodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    83
    Thanks for the info. Just wondering if it's normal for the low fuel alarm to keep going off when there is still almost 1/2 tank visually. I'll pull the baffel and check it out at some point. Much easier than on my jet skis and I have already replaced one of those and second ski is in need of a new one.

  4. #4
    seadoodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    83
    I pulled baffle and replaced the float with an old one I had from the skis. Gauge reads correct now as the original float had some gas in it. Must have sprung a leak. However, now when the tank is not full, the gauge needle swings back and forth due to fuel sloshing in tank. It did not do that before. Either I knocked something off baffle that stabilizes the fuel level in the baffle or the original float was designed to minimize bouncing around.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oliphant, west side of Lake Huron
    Posts
    27
    Seadoodude
    I know this thread is a little old now, just read it today. I went a different route and I wouldn't be without it now. My 02 2000 has the Opti 250 but I am almost positive the option applies to the 240 FI too.

    I bought a "smartcraft" monitor off ebay. You'll also need the harness that goes back to the engine. It cost me about $150 total but what it offers is incredible. The gauge interfaces with the computer and provides you with the following info.. engine hours, rpm, engine temp, jet pump pressure, fuel used so far (resetable), gal/hr current fuel use, battery voltage and lake temp (with an additional sensor).

    It's a standard 'small' size gauge which I cut in by the key switch. Knowing your hours, fuel burn and used fuel is amazing and when it says I have used 122 liters, it will take between 120 and 124 to fill the boat, dead accurate!

    Verify it will work on yours, last I remember it was "many" Merc's prior to 2002 and all injected Mercs as well as all I/O's from 2002 up.

    Greg

  6. #6
    seadoodude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    83
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a nice guage. I'll look into it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Seadoodude
    I know this thread is a little old now, just read it today. I went a different route and I wouldn't be without it now. My 02 2000 has the Opti 250 but I am almost positive the option applies to the 240 FI too. I bought a "smartcraft" monitor off ebay.
    They revised the 240EFI in model year 2002. Two of the changes were an alternator instead of a stator and an updated ECU (computer). The updated ECU is SmartCraft compatible. The 2001 and earlier ECU's are not. I specifically called Mercury on this question, with my engine serial number, to make certain I couldn't use SmartCraft. I would dearly love to, but 2001's and below don't have that option. Darn it.

    BTW, I suspect when you said "jet pump pressure" you really meant fuel pump pressure. I don't think they ever put a pressure sensor in the jetdrive. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oliphant, west side of Lake Huron
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by WAPWC View Post
    They revised the 240EFI in model year 2002. Two of the changes were an alternator instead of a stator and an updated ECU (computer). The updated ECU is SmartCraft compatible. The 2001 and earlier ECU's are not. I specifically called Mercury on this question, with my engine serial number, to make certain I couldn't use SmartCraft. I would dearly love to, but 2001's and below don't have that option. Darn it.

    BTW, I suspect when you said "jet pump pressure" you really meant fuel pump pressure. I don't think they ever put a pressure sensor in the jetdrive. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

    Actually no, it is jet pump pressure. The block actually has a water pressure sensor as a carry over from outboard use so you can monitor your water pump and intake. It is in place and functional on the sportjet so it measures the pressure being delivered by the jet pump to the cooling system.

    It also has oil pressure if plugged into a 4-stroke, trim if boat has trim, 2nd fuel tank (which I wanted to convert to the oil tank but haven't) and depth sounder with the transducer option.
    Greg

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Actually no, it is jet pump pressure. The block actually has a water pressure sensor as a carry over from outboard use so you can monitor your water pump and intake. It is in place and functional on the sportjet so it measures the pressure being delivered by the jet pump to the cooling system.
    OK, cooling water pressure makes sense. I thought what you meant was the pressure within the jetdrive itself - the propulsion pressure. As an Engineer, I'd find that interesting but I can't imagine Mercury would instrument it for the average buyer! [grin]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2000 GTX fuel gauge not reading
    By beachy1122 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM
  2. 2000 RX Millenium Fuel gauge and Speedo not working...
    By Ski Hacks MG in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
  3. Fuel Gauge display broken - 2000 GTX Millenium
    By Lazbarian in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
  4. FS: 2000 xl gauge 70.8 hours
    By crashhard in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
  5. 2000 14.5 (TWINS) - fuel gauge not working
    By brdouglas in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •