Suggestions and Recommendations for PWC 70+ Safety Gear for the "Rec" Rider

Ok, so back to safety. Can we get suggestions and/or recommendations of pwc safety equip for the REC rider-who makes up the majority of all pwc riders (those riders that may avg 30-50mph on their outings, BUT may also go into the +70-80mph zones at times). Most rec riders will not have hundreds of dollars to spend for braces, etc but would like to have (or should have) affordable safety, especially when venturing into the +70mph zones. We assume if you are racing you know what you need as I used to race AMA Superbike and I know how much I had to spend for race leathers, boots, gloves, spine protector, helmet and those are NOT cheap.............

.........................NO...............YES..... ...............if yes then brand or type

helmet:

gloves:

boots:

Vests:

suits:

neck brace:

You can suggest the "best" of each but also state viable options as well. I am one of those rec riders. My modded 250x when ridden by myself on the calm end of LOTO (will acheive I hope after my spring mods: 71.5mph, AND next year I want to make it faster). I do ride it hard and do tend to jump wakes and will often "take on" friendly who has the fastest ski battles, but that is only about 35% of my riding, the remaining 65% is taking friends for rides or just crusin the lake at 35-50mph range. I am 55, but I still ride with No Fear as if I am still in my 20's. Though retired from the Army (hooah!)..and not in too bad of physical fitness.....I do have screws and pins holding legs and arms on this body (extreme sports and jumping out of planes regularily have taken their toll). SO HENCE... my asking the recommendation for equipment. Not just for me but as a guideline for the rec rider. Personally I will be getting the following and though I may be the only person wearing these items in my area and may be made fun of, at least I'll have some protection (I hope others will follow suit as well):
    Jet Pilot Holeshot Boot
    Slippery Reform Gloves
    Slippery Reform Spring Suit
    Sparco full neck brace - will probably upgrade to an EVS RC Evo next season
    Gath Gedi-hey its better than nothing and I still have my Arai Quantum from AMA days but I plan to wear the Gath ALLL the time even during cruise time.....I plan to wear ALLLL of this ALLLLLL of the time.
    Now the vest is the hardest decison I am having. This year I should not exceed 71-72mph and as I stated above I only ride that way about 35 percent of the time and next year I probably won't exceed 75-76mph. I know I should go for a Mustange survival or similar, etc but I've narrowed it down to 3 vests (we have on overdose of Lake Patrol on Cig boats here so I need to keep it USCG approved): Jet Pilot Baller s/e, Jet Pilot Neo s/e, O'Neills Revenge Neo.

Thanks

NO recommendations?? I know there has to be some of you out there that has tried this stuff and could recommend the above...........

+1
    Heres all about neck braces http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54012

look into thoughs and a helmet with goggles...

yes i read that thread id im getting the neck brace as i mentioned for this year next year will be a diff style but i was asking recommendations for the rec rider that occasional goes over 70+

+1
    Honestly bro, I think it's a very subjective thing, and hard to put into words.

Some things should be a given, and should be thought about before riding. But honestly, I doubt we really give it any good thought past a PFD or maybe gloves.

The number one injury on watercraft is various degrees of blunt force trama, from hitting your mouth on the bars up to and including death from hitting a larger object. After that you can choose between twisted legs and joints, cracked collar bones. Something that isn't talked about is damage to cavities such as the hollows between the fingers, or any other natural cavity such as ears, nose, etc... One even less talked about is repeatable damages such as shoulder rotator damage or wrist joint expansion.

Personally, in the summer I like to ride with bicycle shorts, ankle high shoes, gloves, a well fitting PFD, with a hat in storage. Once it gets competitive, I prefer a helmet and some long pants such as motocross riding pants. I have some "grey wolf" pants that work for me, a street-bike style Shoei helmet, slippery when wet gloves and shoes, and pearl izumi shorts. In winter I wear a full length wet suit custom fitted suit, Mustang survival coat, diving gloves and boots from IST.

Off-topic but still important...
    More important is behevior. Don't ride alone. Don't ride with damaged equipment, such as an old battery. Don't take experimental work out without a recovery contingency plan. Don't go on long trips without proper planning and telling someone how long you will be gone. Don't ride in water that is too cold without a quick recovery plan. Be aware of local authorities and how to contact them... I'm sure there are more I'm missing..

well good enuf.....sadly i do ride alone, but on LOTO there is so much traffic that if something happens i would be found....however I DO NOT ride crazy alone just crusin....i only ride fast and rough in front of the marina or cove or with others......

i do have a marine hand-held in the boat as well and tow rope and hose clamps, my id, health insurance card, etc

so i guess i shall be set with my the items i mentioned above and ill have the sparco in the front compartment when i do fast crazy........still not sure what vest to get out of those 3 or four above they are all cat III..... the mustange black that you just got will be for next year..........

there's that little voice in you and this year it is saying wear more stuff....and besides ill need all of that plus my arai for the shootout race in august....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooah_Killer View Post
    ...I do have a marine hand-held in the boat...
    Is your handheld VHF radio waterproof?
    Does it float?

Why not clip/strap it firmly onto your PFD?

If you get thrown off, and cannot get back onto the ski for whatever reason (injury, damage to the ski) the handheld VHF won't be much use if you can't get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is your handheld VHF radio waterproof?
    Does it float?

Why not clip/strap it firmly onto your PFD?

If you get thrown off, and cannot get back onto the ski for whatever reason (injury, damage to the ski) the handheld VHF won't be much use if you can't get to it.
    yes to both...that is a good idea again is a good reason to get the mustang for its large pockets!!!

ok...first piece of new safety equipment is the Mustang Survival MV5600 SO(black color)@$121 with shipping;2nd was the Jet Pilot S1 spring [email protected]$40 plus shipping (and i liked the red color);3rd Slippery Comp boots @$54 plus shipping;4thSlippery Matrix [email protected]$30 plus shipping;
    so total outlay $265

again my riding style is roughly 65% crusing 35% hard n fast so i decided NOT to get a neck brace or helmet this year

i do have my shoei kawi green helmet from ama days so if I need a helmet I have one...

Thread Information