Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

800 motor sitting 7-8 years

hey guys. i have been thinking about putting this 787x motor into my ski and calling it a day. i was going to sell it but i rather use it for the prices motors are sellng these days. it really is prestine. its been sitting for 7-8 years. piston skirts look brand new. cylinder walls are clean with perfect cross hatch marking. raves are in grate shape. it been sitting sealed up for 7-8 years. was never locked up. 165+ psi in each hole. spins nice, quiet and easy by hand with plugs removed.

so, if it wasnt kept oiled, the cylinder walls are dry, and since i am in south florida so no need to winterize, what kind of issues could i be seeing with bearings? should i get some oil in there and try to get everything wet before i first crank it? what should i do? or just throw it in and start er up?

if i do this, i am going to set up my old motor on a bench and slowly build a nice BB motor.

thoughts?

anybody ?

feel free to tell me to shut up and throw it in.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Throw it in! if the top end looks fine I'd run it. you may have some surface rust on the crank (maybe). can you crank it over by hand? no noise? Whats the worst that can happen if your building another one?
    I'd put some oil in the cylinders and pump a little into the bottom of the case before you start it up/

thats what i figured i would do. maybe in the next couple weeks i will throw it in and take it to the dealer to get aligned.

+1
    soak it in pb blaster for a week or 2, will take off any residual rust. then run it with extra oil for the first tank to open everything up.
    when soaking, turn the engine by hand once a day. to coat/clean all the way around crank/bearings.

just shoot the blaster directly at the crank wherever i can get to it or what? i bet that will smell nice on the first start up .

i am running premix. i have never read exactly how the cranks is lubed so i have to ask. does some of the fuel get down into the crankcase and soak the crank while it runs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by redemn93 View Post
    hey guys. i have been thinking about putting this 787x motor into my ski and calling it a day. i was going to sell it but i rather use it for the prices motors are sellng these days. it really is prestine. its been sitting for 7-8 years. piston skirts look brand new. cylinder walls are clean with perfect cross hatch marking. raves are in grate shape. it been sitting sealed up for 7-8 years. was never locked up. 165+ psi in each hole. spins nice, quiet and easy by hand with plugs removed.

so, if it wasnt kept oiled, the cylinder walls are dry, and since i am in south florida so no need to winterize, what kind of issues could i be seeing with bearings? should i get some oil in there and try to get everything wet before i first crank it? what should i do? or just throw it in and start er up?

if i do this, i am going to set up my old motor on a bench and slowly build a nice BB motor.

thoughts?
    If it were mine I would throw in new seals then call it a day. Seals sitting for 8 years and not being run could be bad. Could dry out some then you have issues. I would hate to see a seal go bad then you kill a good motor.

+1
    the fuel oil mixture comes from the carbs, then lubes the crank, then is compressed and ignited in the cyclinder. to be breif anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    If it were mine I would throw in new seals then call it a day. Seals sitting for 8 years and not being run could be bad. Could dry out some then you have issues. I would hate to see a seal go bad then you kill a good motor.

the motor will be getting new exhaust gaskets and a rave rebuild before i ever start it. what seals are you talking about? i may pull the head and change the orings.

hey lextoy, ya i love PB blaster but i dont know if i want to let that sit on the crank seals. its pretty bad to rubber. what do you think? thats my number one fear is a crank seal being bad. or going bad shortly after i get it running. draining the RV bath and seizing on me while i am going down the waterway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information