Polaris MSX 110 summer sea fun?

Hi there all;

I'm a real newbie to PWC and would appreciate your unsalted opinions about the following.

A guy walks into our shop to service his Polaris MSX 110, I'm a Polaris ATV Dealer.
    I hadn't seen a PWC from up close in my life before, except for a few guys running a sea-doo near shore last summer.

Anyhow, turns out this guy wants to sell this MSX.

I got it up and running again and had 10 minutes test-run in a local lake.
    That's the full amount of my PWC experience.

Would this MSX 110 be a good buy for a sea summer fun newbie???
    Riding in about 2 to 4 foot rolling waves.

I've owned a 14' sportboat before, but this thing is way much more fun!!!

Fire away

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk.The MSX is a great hull for the rough water for the money,One of our members last year started racing with the MSX hull offshore with great success.The 110 is a good releible engine with proper manitance.Pirate33 is his handle.So Jetski's are very rare there?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the 2004 Polaris PWC Service Manual, Parts Manuals, and other useful info.

You need to check the engine very carefully, to make sure it is operating as it should. These engines can be reliable, but there are several things that need to be maintained to avoid known problems.

One is that the waste gate shaft for the turbo-charger must be lubricated frequently, or it will become stiff. Also, the oil levels marked on the dip stick are not correct.

There is more information available in this forum. The Search function can provide lots of info.

The engine is made by Weber, which is based in Germany. You may be able to contact them to find a shop that works on this engine, if you need an expert for engine work or checks.

I have a 2004 MSX 140, which uses a different engine. The hull is quite good design, and rides well in rough water.

If you decide to buy a Personal WaterCraft, find others in your area that also ride PWC. It is important to ride with someone else who has experience.

These things are not toys, and you need to learn how to ride safely. Riding with others gives you someone to learn from, and someone to help you if a problem happens. There is a forum here with lots of safety information.

Learn how to be towed without damaging the engine.

Welcome to the world of PWC riding!

Well I've only seen a couple on the sea.
    My surfer friend says they only see them on Surfing DVD's and such.

There is a jetski club not far from were I live on a small lake.
    But I doubt you could even use full throttle before you run out of lake.
    They mostly use those stand-up versions.

As I said my only experience with fun watercraft is a small powerboat.
    What freakes me the most on a jet is the steering.

Far to easy for my liking.
    I opened up the throttle about 60% hit some small waves at a diagonal and started wobbling all over the place.
    Due to small body corrections.
    But then again I'm 6' 1" and 260 lbs.
    The jet was nearly dry with only 1.5 gals of fuel in it, "TEST-RUN"

ATV steering is a whole different ball game.
    You mostly hang on for dear life and shift your weight to slide it through the corner.
    In the nasty washboards you ride with your ass above the seat, slightly bent knees and let the suspension soak up all the bumps.

Is there somewhere I could read up on Jet-ski riding 101???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrccolleman View Post
    ...As I said my only experience with fun watercraft is a small powerboat.
    What freaks me the most on a jet is the steering.

Far to easy for my liking.
    I opened up the throttle about 60% hit some small waves at a diagonal and started wobbling all over the place.
    Due to small body corrections.
    But then again I'm 6' 1" and 260 lbs.
    The jet was nearly dry with only 1.5 gals of fuel in it, "TEST-RUN"

ATV steering is a whole different ball game.
    You mostly hang on for dear life and shift your weight to slide it through the corner.
    In the nasty washboards you ride with your ass above the seat, slightly bent knees and let the suspension soak up all the bumps.

Is there somewhere I could read up on Jet-ski riding 101???
    As I said earlier, best thing is to find some people that ride PWC, and learn. Even if they ride somewhere not so close to you, it is worth the time to learn from those who know how it all works.

Spend some time reading GreenHulk. You will find links to all sorts of information.

Riding a PWC in rough water is something akin to riding a dirt bike. You stand up, flex your legs, and ride it.

Have a look at PWC Offshore web site. These guys race in the Pacific ocean. Watch the video on the front page - watch how the riders are riding.

PWC Offshore also has good info on safety, training, and other good stuff.

By the way, it is important in a PWC to keep the fuel tank full. The severe and rapid ride motions cause the fuel to move around in the tank, and when the fuel level is low, it can allow air into the fuel pump. That is not good.

There are a few other European Greenhulk members, including Trond from Norway. If you start connecting with people, eventually you will find riders in your region that can help you.

When riding in cold water, it is important to wear the right clothing, and plan for possible trouble, so if something happens, you are not in big trouble. There are members here who ride in Alaska.

Thread Information