2003 LX 210 Eng. Problems

2003 LX210

Problem:
    • 1st engine works perfect
    • 2nd engine runs at 3000 -4000 rpm fine for about 45 seconds, then drops down by about 1200 rpm and sounds rough for about 15 seconds and then surges to a higher rpm and then backs off to where it should be.
    • When the engine runs bad, if you push the throttle foward to full rpm, the enginewill not incress.
    • Compression seems OK #1 116, #2 120, #3 119.
    • Cabs were rebuilt by a independent shop and by the dealer ($1000 of work) with no change.
    • We have switched full lines from left engine to right engine and the problem did not move to the other engine.
    • While the engine was running rough we pulled each spark plug wire off and as soon as the plug wire was removed the engine came up to rpm and sounded good. It did not make any difference on which spark wire was removed, it always sounded good.
    • We last change the ignition computer module, the problem still exist.
    • HELP HELP HELP

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    This seems pretty dificult to diagnose from my point of view but definitely sonds electrical. Maybe it's your mechanics that you can't trust because if they charged you $1,000.00 just to rebuild your carbs? He overcharged you alot & if you took it to the mechanic, they should diagnose the issue before jumping to rebuild the carbs. I would take it to another mechanic & bump your thread every couple days until someone replies. Good luck dude!

LX 210 Eng. Problem

I found that the thermal couple is causing the eng. to unload.

I verified the thermal couple is ok by switching to other eng.

The water leaving the boat on the side vent is slightly warmer and the exhaust manifold is also slightly warmer.

What do I look for that is causing the eng. be be slightly warmer.

The LX210/AR210/LS2000 range do not not have pump strainers.
    I used to run 3 of these as rentals.
    Several times we found a small stone lodged in the cooling lines causing engines to overheat. Start there.

Quote Originally Posted by 355Ferrari View Post

The water leaving the boat on the side vent is slightly warmer and the exhaust manifold is also slightly warmer.

+1
    Do you still have the catalytic convertors in them? might be one has started to crumble apart and is blocking the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by 355Ferrari View Post

I was going to say...sounds like a classic overheating situation. I'd go through the whole cooling system, it could be that something is lodged in the lines, or, it could be sand accumulating in the water jackets... Unfortunately, one of the upsides of jet boats also happens to be one of the downsides...the ability to run in shallower water also allows more opportunity to suck up sand/rocks/weeds/pebbles which I'm sure you already know. So it would not be unlikely to have sand collecting in the water jackets or something else stuck in the cooling system.

+1
    Do the jet boats use the same transom plate and wear ring as the skis? I know the reverse buckets are unique.

Smile Lx 210 Problem

Problem resolved: Using a laser temperature gauge found the area causing the problem to be the last bend of the exhaust header by the thermal couple. I disassembled the header and found the last chambers to be 95% blocked with salt build up an one of the three passages to be completely blocked.

Thread Information