Thread: Oil warning?

Oil warning?

Had my carbs rebuilt, and now both of my skis are running like champs!

However, after a 2 hour run yesterday, my "warning" light came on, and an arrow on the dash pointed to the oil. The ski started beeping, and I turned it off really quick. I checked the tank and there was still about an inch of oil in there.

Could it be that the rough water and aggressive jumping I was doing sloshed the oil enough to trip the float? I started it back up and cruised slowly back to dock (about 200yds) without the light coming back on. I also made sure that the exhaust had the characteristic blue smoke, which it did. Is the blue smoke enough to know that oil is being properly mixed?

And, can I take them back out today, once I add a quart or two?

Thanks, as always

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hot_wire View Post
    Had my carbs rebuilt, and now both of my skis are running like champs!

However, after a 2 hour run yesterday, my "warning" light came on, and an arrow on the dash pointed to the oil. The ski started beeping, and I turned it off really quick. I checked the tank and there was still about an inch of oil in there.

Could it be that the rough water and aggressive jumping I was doing sloshed the oil enough to trip the float? I started it back up and cruised slowly back to dock (about 200yds) without the light coming back on. I also made sure that the exhaust had the characteristic blue smoke, which it did. Is the blue smoke enough to know that oil is being properly mixed?

And, can I take them back out today, once I add a quart or two?

Thanks, as always

First...why would you let it get that low? That's playing with fire my friend....I would go premix so you don't have to worry about that. Your could have been starving the engine for oil...the bearings will be the first to go if you did. Always fill them before riding...more so if your jumping etc....

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    First...why would you let it get that low? That's playing with fire my friend....I would go premix so you don't have to worry about that. Your could have been starving the engine for oil...the bearings will be the first to go if you did. Always fill them before riding...more so if your jumping etc....

M
    Right on, didn't even realize that was considered low. The tanks only about 4" deep... I figured I had 1/4 tank!

Glad nothing is actually wrong. Thanks for the advice on topping off.

Thread Information