Tops Valve Question

I am getting a lot of raw clean oil in my catch can how is the tops valve supposed to work and what signals the solonoid and under what conditions?.compression is 115 straight across with my guage did a leak down all looks good!!I am running 14psi boost 8500 rpm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I am getting a lot of raw clean oil in my catch can how is the tops valve supposed to work and what signals the solonoid and under what conditions?.compression is 115 straight across with my guage did a leak down all looks good!!I am running 14psi boost 8500 rpm

Jim the T.O.P.S. valve is for when you tip the ski over it won't allow all your oil to spill out of the motor.

T Tip
    O Over
    P Protection
    S System

Oh!!! I thoght it also was used as the breather ,,,well then I guess I will check further as to where the oil is comming from!!! any suggestions any one??????? My compression seems low but everything I check with my guage seems low So I think its my guage its not using oil only pumping into the catch can!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it IS also the breather...

the crankcase breaths thru the TOPS valve..

when the ski is OFF, the plunger inside the top of the scavenger pump is closed.
    when you put the key on, the plunger opens and stays open while engine runs to vent crankcase
    when ski rolls past certain degrees, the mercury switch signals the solenoid to close the plunger so oil doesn't spill out and fill the intake tract

on 06+ skis... there's no electronic solenoid/breather... it's mechanical and located on the cam cover gear access cover on the side of the head...

02-05 uses TOPS for BOTH crankcase venting and tip over protection

+1
    oil getting pumped into your catch can CAN be blow-by... worn rings / bore

combustion chamber pressure gets past rings into crank case... and builds excess pressure in the bottom end that as it vents it has so much pressure it vents with some oil at the same time

compression seems low.... but like u said could be your gauge.. u did leakdown? what was the % leakdown if it looked good?

thanks shibly I though it was open when the engine was running but wasnt shure and the way the hose was routed it had to be a vent come how,,, so I guess I have an oil control problem some where.mabe time for rings?? 50 hours???leak down was 88% is there a way to drain back to the crankcase,, the riva can is so small!! it seems to be clean oil not the crap thats in my ultra 250

+1
    12% leakdown you have... 88% she wouldn't even run probably, hehe

that's not horrible. just not fantastic either...

see if you find where it's going for shits and giggles see what your wear component is... leaky valves or if it's going past the rings into the crankcase...

pull intake manifold and exhaust manifold off and you can spray like seadoo lube or fogging oil on top of the valve faces and test leakdown on each cylinder see if the fluid on the valve faces starts bubbling or spritzing because of a crappy valvejob... of it almost no air gets past valves then it's probably all going into crankcase... feel for it from the dipstick tube see what you hear down there or feel

Will do thanks

Thread Information