Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

XS intercooler information

I have a XS intercooler (type 9) and have the following data from yesterday on the lake. The weather was 71F with 38% humidity lake water temp was 63F. I drilled the mounting holes on the intercooler to a 1/4 NPT thread and installed 3/16" barbs in place of the bolts I then attached a vacuum line to each with a plug on the end. Here I was able to remove my line for my boost gauge from the multi port adapter and attach it to the vacuum line on the super charger side of the intercooler. I saw 7.5 psi of boost at WOT then I attached it to the outlet side of the intercooler and still saw 7.5 psi of boost at WOT. This proved that there is less than 0.1 pressure drop across the cooler. Also I measured air temps the same way before the intercooler I read 109.4 F and after the intercooler I read 98.6F. I am sure we will see bigger temp drops when the air temps are much higher. I also saw when I put the boost gauge line back on the intake manifold I was reading 6.5 psi of boost. I do not understand why there is less boost at the vacuum port on the intake. I will research this and if anybody knows please let me know. Overall it was a great day of riding the warmest I have been out so far. I am really looking for this summer.

Matt
    (superair)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intercooler_type9_picture.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	124742  

Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    I have a XS intercooler (type 9) and have the following data from yesterday on the lake. The weather was 71F with 38% humidity lake water temp was 63F. I drilled the mounting holes on the intercooler to a 1/4 NPT thread and installed 3/16" barbs in place of the bolts I then attached a vacuum line to each with a plug on the end. Here I was able to remove my line for my boost gauge from the multi port adapter and attach it to the vacuum line on the super charger side of the intercooler. I saw 7.5 psi of boost at WOT then I attached it to the outlet side of the intercooler and still saw 7.5 psi of boost at WOT. This proved that there is less than 0.1 pressure drop across the cooler. Also I measured air temps the same way before the intercooler I read 109.4 F and after the intercooler I read 98.6F. I am sure we will see bigger temp drops when the air temps are much higher. I also saw when I put the boost gauge line back on the intake manifold I was reading 6.5 psi of boost. I do not understand why there is less boost at the vacuum port on the intake. I will research this and if anybody knows please let me know. Overall it was a great day of riding the warmest I have been out so far. I am really looking for this summer.

Matt
    (superair)

I believe there is a drop in pressure due to the throttle body even though your at WOT (thermodynamics). That is why your getting a lower reading on the intake manifold vs. the intercooler boost reading!

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Whats the water pressure going through the IC do you know???

+1
    I do not know the water pressure but I can check. I can put a tee inline and a gauge. It will be later next week though.

Matt
    (superair)

+1
    I do not know the water pressure but I can check. I can put a tee inline and a gauge. It will be later next week though.

Matt
    (superair)
    Might wanna give that a check. XS's are pretty particular about water pressure. Between 30-40 seemed the best to run for efficiency.

+1
    Thanks, I will check that and if it is low I will put a inline pump to push water through. I had thought of doing this anyway but was waiting to see what the temps were in hot weather first. Here the lake water temps will reach 90f.

Matt
    (superair)

Thanks, I will check that and if it is low I will put a inline pump to push water through. I had thought of doing this anyway but was waiting to see what the temps were in hot weather first. Here the lake water temps will reach 90f.

Matt
    (superair)

check out the intercooler cooling kit install thread (its stickied at the top of the 4 stroke performance page), should be what you need!

sorry, dont know how to attach links

+1

Matt
    (superair)
    Like SHOtime mentioned, might give that cooling kit a peek. Could have sworn somebdy had said the SHO doesnt push much pressure at the water inlet side of the IC.

But, here in KS the water temps get pretty dam high too!!

+1

Question on cylindrical intercoolers

Is there any disadvantage to using the following?Such as flow restriction, effeciency, to big or small, etc.

It's a type 19 with the 3 inch air ports, or should it be the type 20 with the 2.5inch air ports?

Hope this doesn't open a can of worms and hijack your thread.
    Last edited by Gunna; 04-06-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: x

+1
    R3Killa and myself went with the smaller type 20 XS intercooler with the 2.5 inch inlet and outlet. I just did that because the SC outlet is also 2.5 inches. I have not finished installing my XS yet but R3killa says that the smaller type 20 will handle most anything I can throw at it.

Only person I know who went with the bigger type 19 XS with 3 inch inlet and outlet is SHOBiz.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information