+1

output shaft coupler stuck!!

i am rebuilding my motor and thought i might as well open up the crankase breather that is not fully tapt. but i cannot get the output shaft off!! so far the bottom of a piston has chipped off and i broke a timing wheel in half!!

i am holding the wheel and turning the coupler counter clock wise, no budge, (also tried clock wise to see if any give, none), so a buddy said use an impact, another said use heat, i did and no go! i used them together with liquid wrench on the threads and no go!!

oh,yea and yesterday i noticed that when i turn the crank (to get holders lined up )it makes a grinding noise. did I do this with the impact??

could the grinding be because cause the crank is supposed to be "floating" on oil(pressurized) with bearing, ?????????

so i guess i need to remove the shaft anyway to get to the crank now, i would really appreciate any help i can get with these problems:

1. cannot remove output shaft coupler
    2. crank makes grinding noise

thank you........Barrett

HEAT AND LOTS OF IT.

I got mine so hot I couldnt touch it. Then used a long bar to leverage . It will come trust me. You could also use a BIG impact gun.

+1

update

grinding noise seems to be reduced when rods are held verticle like still has pistons and cylinders. I hope this is the reason!!!! but still trying to get coupler off, the next step is ddynomite!!

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by born riding View Post
    grinding noise seems to be reduced when rods are held verticle like still has pistons and cylinders. I hope this is the reason!!!! but still trying to get coupler off, the next step is ddynomite!!
    Hey Barrett..I got a large hammer for ya!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by born riding View Post

Get it hot. to the point its smoking the rubber crank seal. While holding the motor still, use large breaker bar and pull slowly. it will slowly spin off.

I break pistons too if I took off the cylinder.

You going to have to do a complete washing of the cases now.

Trust me on the heat. I use a small torch, the one with a blue can. It like 19.99 from Home Depot. Ya have too much trouble then cary it over to Monster M. He can get it off for you.

+1

well

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Get it hot. to the point its smoking the rubber crank seal. While holding the motor still, use large breaker bar and pull slowly. it will slowly spin off.

I break pistons too if I took off the cylinder.

You going to have to do a complete washing of the cases now.

Trust me on the heat. I use a small torch, the one with a blue can. It like 19.99 from Home Depot. Ya have too much trouble then cary it over to Monster M. He can get it off for you.
    first, monster doesn't like to work on 250's. so i am on my own again
    2nd, what do you mean by "washing of the cases" (clean and reassemble?)

lastly anyone know of any widely avaliable tools that can be used as a rotor holder, i don't want to order the kawi one, i have been using a timing rotor with two bolts sticking out and holding them, any ideas?

Only cause I love ya Berret....

Take a cut of 2x4 and put it under the broken pistons. One each side. This will hold the crank withiut spinning off the lock dowl.

Then get a Monkey wrench, like $90 bucks at the hardware store. Im talking large with ugly teeth on it. Grip the coupler on the non-pulley section. Us a long pipe for leverage ove the LARGE monkey wrench. HEAT till extremely hot and the grab ahold of breaker bar and slowly remove the coupler.

+1

got it

awsome got it, used the chain and set a lift on top of it. but now trying to find the flywheel tool
    any suggestions or reccomendations??
    Last edited by born riding; 04-08-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: recommendations

Thread Information