Jared of Oklahoma

Waterpoof box and RAM mount for GPS

has anyone on here used the cool RAM GPS mounts with the waterproof box with flexlense on their jetski? the one I found on eBay was described as being for a motorcycle or ATV. I thought crap, that would be awesome on my ski. Im sure many of you gurus have already done this so please tell me what you thought. or if you have a better idea please let me know. I mainly want one of these for acurate mph and navigation on a couple of the really big lakes here in Oklahoma.

have a good one guys, not to much longer before I can hit the water again.
    Jared

+1
    Got a link. I'd like to see what you are talking about.

Ram mounts are very popular for watercraft on here. A good GPS is waterproof (if stated as such,) as long as you keep it from getting injected from a strong shot of water over the bow.

Here is how I did mine and so far so good.. Cya Slick

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry I missed this one, but the mount that Slick used is prefect for general riding- I don't think you need a waterproof box, now for more aggressive riding I use a "head up" mount so I can read the water but at the same time see my compass arrow. On Casper the Matrix I removed the mirrors from the mirror blocks ( be careful to attach the nuts onto the mirrors screws or they fall into the mirror housing and you'll never see them again LOL) and mounted the Ram mounts onto the existing holes using Ram motorcycle mounts
    Look for 2 pictures of my set-up on my Polaris on the K38 racers site at the bottom of the post- the tape you see is duck tape that I used "Just in case" and so the GPS units would not fly out in the heavy seas that day-they where also roped on to the ski if somehow the mount broke off-
    http://k38watersafety.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1747

another method a few offshore riders mount their GPS unit is believe it or not is a car wash sponge and duck tape! yes a car wash sponge ! it has never failed for anyone yet, heres a picture of SoCalOffShore- aka Mark Gerners set up-heads up on top and back-up on the glove box

Jared of Oklahoma

thanks guys for the input

hey thanks everyone, I think I will consider each option and the go from there. My GPS is a Garmin that I mainly use in my car. that is why I was a little concerned about not using a waterproof box. Last year I used my small pelican case and strapped it to the handlebar pad. I was just looking for a cleaner mounting option. Im kind of a little anal about the way my skis look. So Im considering using the Ram mount I found and then also using you guys ideas of a backup tether just in case. I already lost an expensive pair of sunglasses last year because of a faulty eye glass leash. Luckily I had a backupo pair of reg glasses or it would have been hard for me to make it back to the dock. this year Im making sure everything is secured for sure.

thanks again guys,
    Jared

+1
    Super helpful thanks ! Looking to mount a Garmin 70s to mirror onto skiis and this is exactly the type of setup info I was looking for.

Thread Information