Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: prop vs plate??

prop vs plate??

hey guys..newbie over here. im looking for some expert opinions. i have been doing a ton of research for weeks about mods. i have an 02 gpr, and i am planning on doing more mods asap. my question is this: should my next mod be a prop or ride plate? My thought process is go with the plate since i dont have many engine mods yet, and Im afraid i wont wont be able to spin the prop I was looking at, which is a concord 13/19 or repitched 13/20 from impros. Not to mention you guys all seem to pick up speed with a new plate, mainly Jim's.

My mods are D-plate, cat chip, riva 1200 grate, and PPK.

When i bought the ski it would cavitate badly from the hole. I didnt realize this at first and just thought it was a dog from the start, until my brother took it out and said something was wrong. I am sealing my pump shoe at the moment, and I have the pump out to inspect the wear ring and prop. the prop is dinged up a bit, thats why I was contemplating replacing it. I plan on raising compression and doing other engine mods in the future, so would you suggest sending my prop to impros, having them freshen it up, then installing a ride plate for the time being?..then doing a new impeller later when i have the power to spin it? This makes sense to me considering the research ive done but i just wanted to ask before i pony up the dough to buy some goodies. thanks for all your help guys!

+1
    Go with the rideplate then save the cash up and do the head and impeller at the same time.

You can never go wrong with one of Jim's plates.

+1
    +1 on the plate, plus I would replace the wear ring/impeller housing to help the cavitation
    you could clean up your on prop with a file to get rid of nicks and dings. you could also send your prop to Jim for a little freshening and trueing of the blades

plus I would replace the wear ring/impeller housing to help the cavitation
    i checked the clearance using the "poker card" method. it looks good all the way around. i dont want to replace it yet if i dont have too, considering the cost of a new housing. also the ski only has 70 hours on it.

the foam strip was in rough shape on the shoe, and im confident that was the main cause for the cavitation. i stripped it off and im gonna load it up with 4200. thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slowimport View Post
    i checked the clearance using the "poker card" method. it looks good all the way around. i dont want to replace it yet if i dont have too, considering the cost of a new housing. also the ski only has 70 hours on it.

the foam strip was in rough shape on the shoe, and im confident that was the main cause for the cavitation. i stripped it off and im gonna load it up with 4200. thanks!
    make sure you read up on recessing pump shoe, might be worth some speed

Post a picture of your prop.

Quote Originally Posted by slowimport View Post
    hey guys..newbie over here. im looking for some expert opinions. i have been doing a ton of research for weeks about mods. i have an 02 gpr, and i am planning on doing more mods asap. my question is this: should my next mod be a prop or ride plate? My thought process is go with the plate since i dont have many engine mods yet, and Im afraid i wont wont be able to spin the prop I was looking at, which is a concord 13/19 or repitched 13/20 from impros. Not to mention you guys all seem to pick up speed with a new plate, mainly Jim's.

My mods are D-plate, cat chip, riva 1200 grate, and PPK.

When i bought the ski it would cavitate badly from the hole. I didnt realize this at first and just thought it was a dog from the start, until my brother took it out and said something was wrong. I am sealing my pump shoe at the moment, and I have the pump out to inspect the wear ring and prop. the prop is dinged up a bit, thats why I was contemplating replacing it. I plan on raising compression and doing other engine mods in the future, so would you suggest sending my prop to impros, having them freshen it up, then installing a ride plate for the time being?..then doing a new impeller later when i have the power to spin it? This makes sense to me considering the research ive done but i just wanted to ask before i pony up the dough to buy some goodies. thanks for all your help guys!

+1

Cool

once again done forget the pump tunnel ,It's a pain to do but would you rather lose your ski?

cd

make sure you read up on recessing pump shoe, might be worth some speed
    im planning on it. ive done alot of reading on this, in addition to setting up the ride plate correctly. i test fitted to pump shoe last night, and i need to slightly recess the pump shoe plugs into the shoe. also, would you reccomend filling the triangular voids on the transom plate where the pump shoe contacts it?

Post a picture of your prop
    ill try to get one up tonight

once again done forget the pump tunnel
    im already planning on doing so once i have the shoe sealed. i got the upgraded brackets too.

im also doing leo's kit, so im hoping for a sick holeshot compared to what i was experiencing before. it was cavitating bad...i had to ease the throttle till i got up to about 10 mph then i could punch it. i could never just floor it from a dead stop.

also, when i first bought it, it would top out at 58mph. i did the d-plate and grate, tucked my head pretty much below the visor and i saw 63, but that only happened once. i usually see 60-61. im hoping with these mods ill see 65 consistantly. thanks guys!!!

btw guys...i ride in freshwater, some occasional chop. elevation is near sea level. dunno if this helps. thanks!

From my reading so far, it seems best to go with good plate first. It is a part that you will keep no matter what other mods you do. Get a prop after you know how deep into the motor you plan to get. The opposite of what I did, but it seems like good advice.

For the prop, if yours is really bad, you can pick up a stock prop really cheap. Work with that until you get an idea of the pitch you will need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information