Post Questions on 96XP Handlebars.

So it seems that my handlebars are a little loose. Are there ball/sleeve bearings in the handlebar assembly? If not is there any way to tighten them up? I briefly took a look at how to take them off and it doesn't seem like a very quick job .

On a side note, while I was installing my worx sponsons, I noticed that I didn't have to drill out the mounting holes in the hull to 1/4. They had already been drilled out. Which got me to thinking if the bike previously had a pipe on it. Well I looked at the allen heads and sure enough, the pipe had been off the bike before. Bummer... guess I will see the condition of the bike once I get the head off.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Seadoo makes BIKES??? LOL i didn't know that. UMI steering, you will thank me later. Anyways i think that you have to take the handlebar cover off and just tighten up the bolts holding it down.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    Seadoo makes BIKES??? LOL i didn't know that. UMI steering, you will thank me later. Anyways i think that you have to take the handlebar cover off and just tighten up the bolts holding it down.

Jet skis/wetbikes/waverunners whatever you want to call 'em . Yeah I pulled the cover off and the bolts are tight. I really don't want to pull the whole damn thing out since its a major pita to get a wrench/socket on the backside...

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=35&B=20

I have this same problem (At least I think so, from the way you describe it)

I'm looking at numbers 68 and 69 in the linked diagram and they appear to be the only bushings in the steering stem.

Let me know if that helps you because I have yet to have my ski apart to check on things.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    They aren't hard to gain access. Just to confirm, the bars are loose, not the grips...right?

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    They aren't hard to gain access. Just to confirm, the bars are loose, not the grips...right?
    Was waiting for you to respond . Yes sir, its the bars that are loose. They don't move in and out, but they do have play in them up-down side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Was waiting for you to respond . Yes sir, its the bars that are loose. They don't move in and out, but they do have play in them up-down side to side.
    Hmm...that is the chep OEM steering stem. The G's they see with the X-4 and sponsons takes a toll on the plastic bushings. I don't think you can improve it, other than chunk it and buy UMI. If someone has done it, please chime in.

So it's either replace some 12$ bushings once or twice a year, or buy a 400$ steering setup for my 1,500$ jet ski...

I'll replace the bushings.

I will prob just wait for a UMI setup to popup in the classifieds. Robert, have you seen any of the steering setups actually break in use on the X4's? I don't want to nail a jump and rip off the bars lol.

-Al

Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    I will prob just wait for a UMI setup to popup in the classifieds. Robert, have you seen any of the steering setups actually break in use on the X4's? I don't want to nail a jump and rip off the bars lol.

-Al
    Hey Al, well, not that I can remember? They do feel really weak, don't they? My VE SPX has stock steering(sleeper look, and I always feel like it's going to break when I nail the gas.

You should be able to get a used UMI for $250, just a FYI for furture.

Thread Information