Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to ship a 4tec engine?

I have a complete RXP engine that I need to ship out west. I have tried to get quotes from fedex and ups freight shipping it on a pallet but the cost is close to $500.00. What is the best and cheapest way to ship it? I was wondering if I could get a container like SBT ships their engines regular Fedex or build a wood box, I'm clueless please HELP.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    call john carter @ unishippers..... he's a member on the forum also, fellow DOO owner

put the motor on a pallet and bolt it down / strap it on...

get some of that clear wrap and wind it all around the motor.. or if i feel u want to build sides and a top for it go ahead, it just adds weight and cost... the companies john uses are great and i've never had them damage an exposed product... he's shipped skis, motors, outboard engines, crates, carbon fiber parts for me... and have always been VERY reasonably priced and very thorough and makes the process stupid easy

another idea is go to walmart... buy a rubbermaid tub and a big comforter or something in the bedding section. wrap the motor in a big bed spread and put it inside rubbermaid container and tape the crap out of it, or even rope the lid and twine around it..

888-864-7477 is John's number at the office

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Another packing technique goes like this;

Bag or wrap the engine tightly in plastic, so it is sealed in.

Place the engine in a box or container that can handle the weight, bolted to a platform or plywood on the bottom.

Place plastic bags, like strong garbage bags, in the open space on each side. Partially/mostly fill each bag with expanding foam, tie the bag opening off, and let it set. Choose a foam that will expand and harden without needing contact with the air.

Close the lid on the container while the foam expands and sets.

What you should end up with is solid foam sections that are molded to the shape of the motor, and the container. The expanding foam fills in all the gaps, and presses itself against the engine and container.

Properly done, the foam will hold the engine securely inside the container. If there is room, you can 'inflate' another bag with foam on top of the motor, and use the lid to make it conform to the space inside.

The denser the type of foam used, the tougher the resulting package protection will be.

Here is a link illustrating the idea.

Edit: Placing slabs of hard Styrofoam (like those sold for construction/insulation) under the engine and along the inside perimeter of the box provides additional protection for the contents. Then use the expanding-foam-in-bag method to secure the engine in place.
    Last edited by K447; 04-07-2009 at 02:42 PM.

+1
    Call a trucker that delivers to the area you want and tell them the weight and that you are shipping used auto parts. strap to a pallet,wrap with clear plastic and your good to go.

good stuff......thanks for the tips guys

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    ups and fedex won't touch it if it's over 150lbs. . .Has to go freight. Call unishippers or maybe a friend that works at a warehouse. the more business a company does witha shipping company, the better the pricing they get

+1
    Call me or PM either way. Good advice on the packing. How far out west business to business Charleston to San Francisco should be about 200.
    Assuming 250 pounds for the motor and packing

We ship Motorcycle engines all over the world. Get a box that is larger than the engine itself. Home depot/ lowes sells large sheets of styrofoam. Line the box with styrofoam and put 2 pieces at the bottom. When done put one on top and shove pieces of it around the engine so it will not move. Close the box and tape it up. Never once had a problem with it. UPS Has no problem either and I doubt a 4tec is any heavier than a Sportbike motor. Cost is less than 200 dollars in the states. Let me know if you want more details.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    We ship Motorcycle engines all over the world. Get a box that is larger than the engine itself. Home depot/ lowes sells large sheets of styrofoam. Line the box with styrofoam and put 2 pieces at the bottom. When done put one on top and shove pieces of it around the engine so it will not move. Close the box and tape it up. Never once had a problem with it. UPS Has no problem either and I doubt a 4tec is any heavier than a Sportbike motor. Cost is less than 200 dollars in the states. Let me know if you want more details.

Shipped an Polaris MSX 150 engine to Jay @ Atlantic Powersports and had the thing all crated up with ply wood all around it. Guess what happened they dropped the thing and broke the turbo. I say go with Unishippers.

+1
    Give John at Unishippers the first option because he is a fellow GH member and a good guy. If he can't do it, Forward Air is cheap if you and the recipient don't mind going to their terminal for delivery/pick-up.

And the big plastic tub from Wal-Mart or Target with a comforter works well like Shibby said. If the tub is big enough, I would put a piece of plywood on the bottom to prevent the bottom of the tub from breaking under the weight of the engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information