1996 Slt780 questions, I have searched already,lol.

Hello, I bought a diamond of a ski for $100. I don't know much history other than the guy I bought it from said it needed shaft seals.He pulled it from the water when I bought it. He lives on the lake but didn't use it last season. Anyways, I put a battery in it and getting over 11 volts but no spark. I had to pull the plugs because when I turned it over it was binding from water.When I cranked it without the plugs water went probably 10 feet up,lol. Is it possible the water came from me having it tilted on its side? The exhaust side up, water ran into cylinders? Is there a easy way to check the crankcase for water? My mfd doesn't show anything either, could the no spark and mfd not work because of a faulty cdi or possibly a fuse? It turns over fine, no bad noises,just no spark.
    thanks to anyone that reads this and if you have any ideas, please post them. Oh, I am taking off all the graphics because they look like hell, anyone have any ideas for new graphics that would look cool. Getting a little ahead of myself on that one,lol.
    Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Polaris Service Manuals, and lots of other useful info.

Diamond?

Am I correct that this engine has never run since you bought it, and the engine had water inside when you cranked it without spark plugs?
    When did this engine last run?

Did you first crank it with the spark plugs installed, and water inside the engine?

Water sitting inside the engine for more than a few minutes/hours means the steel roller bearings inside the crank case are probably rusting. Rusted bearings means engine crank shaft must be rebuilt.

Was this machine sunk?

You mentioned 'shaft seals' leaking. Do you mean the drive shaft through-hull seal (which would let water into the hull)?

If you mean the engine crankshaft seals, then replacing these probably means removing and dis-assembling the engine. Leaking crank shaft seals will cause the engine to run lean, which can cause piston damage.

Going by what you have posted, my guess is that the engine has rusted internally, and would need to be removed from the hull, dis-assembled and rebuilt.

Electrically, there is an MFD fuse inside the electrical box. There should be no water, and zero corrosion, inside the electrical box. The MFD fuse is a 1/4 Amp fuse, and should be replaced only with another 1/4 Amp fuse, not a higher rated fuse.

A good battery will have more than 10.5 volts, measured at the battery with a multi-meter, while the engine is cranking.

Is the lanyard in place on the handlebar when you have no spark?

I just opened the box and its clean and dry. The fuses are fine. It is the through hull seals that need to be replaced. It would take on water after sitting for a few hours. The box has 2 wires cut coming from it, I think I read they are for the bidge pump, orange/brown and black. It wasn't "sunk" but sitting next to the dock in about a foot of water. The laynard is looked up but seems "iffy" I have wiggled it while tugging on it but still no spark. The reset button on the box doesn't push in so I assume if it's already in it's ok.

oh, yes I did try to crank it before I knew the cylinders had water in them. Then I pulled the plugs and cranked it a few times to get the water out then I put oil in the cylinders and cranked it some more.

+1
    Well, work through the diagnostics in the 1992-1998 Service Manual, tell us what you find out when you have done the checks and tests.

You might as well plan to remove the jet pump and drive shaft, since it needs to come off anyway to repair or replace the seals in the through-hull assembly. If the bearing inside there has rusted, riding it could cause the bearing to seize, which can rip apart the stubby hose material that holds the bearing in place. Then the ski would sink.

Cranking with water inside the engine can crack a piston (since water doesn't compress).
    Last edited by K447; 05-03-2009 at 09:12 PM.

I got spark now, it was the black yellow wire from the switch. The mfd still doesn't show anything. Does the engine have to be running for it to work? I assume they don't stay on all the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rutroshaggy2002 View Post
    I got spark now, it was the black yellow wire from the switch.

The mfd still doesn't show anything. Does the engine have to be running for it to work? I assume they don't stay on all the time.
    You need to spend some time reading up on these machines, and searching these forums.

MFD info is listed in the web pages I have linked you to.

You got spark. Does it start now?

You may need to dribble a little bit of fuel+oil down the carb throats, and start it that way.

BTW, take off the pulse line (hose) running from the crank case base to the fuel pump, and make sure it doesn't have liquid inside. That line needs to be clear of fluids for the fuel pump to work properly.

If the machine has been sitting for a long time, the carbs are very likely to have gunk build up inside the carbs.

Even if you get it running, carbs that need cleaning can damage the engine when you are riding at speed on the water (lean burn).

Also, old gasoline degrades and doesn't burn properly, and that can also cause engine damage.

Do some searching and reading regarding the typical maintenance that these Fuji engines require.

It is important to do the maintenance up front, and not wait until a problem is detected. Too often, the 'problem' that is noticed is that the engine has become damaged by something that could have been prevented.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Rutro.

Unfortunately, I mumbled your screen name when I read your post.

You did 2 major no-no's or RUTROH's

Skis are meant to been flipped over in 1 direction only. I think you flipped it the wrong way. (this does empty water into the engine)

The second was hitting the starter button with water inside. Not only can hydrolock (water doesn't compress, so a metal part usually fails) crack a piston, it can knock the crankshaft out of phase. (these use a press fit crankshaft, and the hydrolock can change the crank postion)

Before doing anything, please read the on line manual on how to check crank phase.

Then determine if the engine had water in it before you accidentally did.

Your diamond may just be a Cubic Zirconia....

Zirconia.................!....................lol. ....................

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    welcome to the hulk rutro.

Unfortunately, i mumbled your screen name when i read your post.

You did 2 major no-no's or rutroh's

skis are menat to been flipped over in 1 direction only. I think you flipped it the wrong way. (this does empty water into the engine)

the second was hitting the starter button with water inside. Not only can hydrolock (water doesn't compress, so a metal part usually fails) crack a piston, it can knock the crankshaft out of phase. (these use a press fit crankshaft, and the hydrolock can change the crank postion)

before doing anything, please read the on line manual on how to check crank phase.

Then determine if the engine had water in it before you accidentally did.

Your diamond may just be a cubic zirconia....

Thread Information