Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rxt-X cracks in Hull. is this serious?

ok so while my Rxt-x was sitting in the sun i seen that the whole left side of the ski has spider cracks. the right side of the ski is in perfect shape yet the left side is cracked there are 3 cracks that run all the way from the back of the ski where the sponson starts all the way up just under the sticker to the front of the ski near the gas tank at which point the 3 long cracks spread out into a spider web shape. there is also a spider web shaped crack under the hull almost on the bottom near where the tank is (not connected to the cracks on the side that run all the way down) now these cracks are just visible is high light and you can just feel them with your fingernail yet when i put water on them it doesnt seem to be getting in the cracks it just runs right over and off. is this something that i should be worrying about? or is it common and harmless? i know older boats always have spider cracks but my ski is a year old and has only 70 hours. i ride in the chop but have not been to ruff on it.

A buddy of mine bought a ski boat that was built in Georga. The second year he had it, he parked the boat & trailer facing the south. Within two weeks, the gelcoat on the transom had buckled and started to crack. I don't think that BRP has any warranty on the gelcoat, which is a shame... Ron

+1
    I have never heard of anything like that on an RXT or T-X...
    ours have almost 300 hours (each) and nothing like that.

We have had some on hear (mostly RXP's) with delamination problems, (water gets underneath and gelcoat peels off in large sheet) but they are few and far between. Some of those were a result of hull damage. Some of these people beat the sh!t out their skis jumping huge waves too, which is going to void any manufacturer warranty. Others tie them up at the dock and let the waves beat the heck out of the hull, so cracks do happen.

At any rate, that spider cracking sounds pretty major and I would check with your dealer about it. It's possible you have a defective unit that did not get the usual proper gel coat process.
    If it looks that way now, imagine that hull in 2 or 3 years.

Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!! SuperCharged/IC's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooper_Scooper View Post
    ok so while my Rxt-x was sitting in the sun i seen that the whole left side of the ski has spider cracks. the right side of the ski is in perfect shape yet the left side is cracked there are 3 cracks that run all the way from the back of the ski where the sponson starts all the way up just under the sticker to the front of the ski near the gas tank at which point the 3 long cracks spread out into a spider web shape. there is also a spider web shaped crack under the hull almost on the bottom near where the tank is (not connected to the cracks on the side that run all the way down) now these cracks are just visible is high light and you can just feel them with your fingernail yet when i put water on them it doesnt seem to be getting in the cracks it just runs right over and off. is this something that i should be worrying about? or is it common and harmless? i know older boats always have spider cracks but my ski is a year old and has only 70 hours. i ride in the chop but have not been to ruff on it.

Sounds more like hairline scratches than cracks.

+1
    Do you or have you surf jumped your ski? Just curious since I have the same ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Do you or have you surf jumped your ski? Just curious since I have the same ski.
    I have a couple tiny spider cracks in the black gelcoat of my T-X but they are on both sides and only near the front of the hull and VERY minor. My polaris MSX 140 has same thing,and lots of them. They are 100% from HUGE wave jumping i have done on Lake Erie on stormy days, swells so large the guys you ride with cant be seen in between waves. Also my t-x was so high in the air sometimes when i landed it would be up to the handlbars underwater All that airtime and like i said I only saw two tiny spider cracks on mine only a few inches long. I was impressed at how well it held up. If yours is from sitting in the sun so long, THEN BUY A DAM TARP + COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its shame that yours sits outside so long for that to happen...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianRxtX View Post
    I have a couple tiny spider cracks in the black gelcoat of my T-X but they are on both sides and only near the front of the hull and VERY minor. My polaris MSX 140 has same thing,and lots of them. They are 100% from HUGE wave jumping i have done on Lake Erie on stormy days, swells so large the guys you ride with cant be seen in between waves. Also my t-x was so high in the air sometimes when i landed it would be up to the handlbars underwater All that airtime and like i said I only saw two tiny spider cracks on mine only a few inches long. I was impressed at how well it held up. If yours is from sitting in the sun so long, THEN BUY A DAM TARP + COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its shame that yours sits outside so long for that to happen...
    I was just wondering. I don't jump mine but I did just notice hairline cracks in the gelcoat right were the back of the engine housing tapers down to the reboarding area (at the point). My ski is covered and in the garage. It only sees sunlight when it's going down the ramp to coming up the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    I was just wondering. I don't jump mine but I did just notice hairline cracks in the gelcoat right were the back of the engine housing tapers down to the reboarding area (at the point). My ski is covered and in the garage. It only sees sunlight when it's going down the ramp to coming up the ramp.
    gotcha I was referring to the other guy who says he leaves it out in the sun lol. Yeah i leave mine covered and inside whenever its not getting used. Spider cracks are definitely normal on all boats and PWCs.. i have owned alot of new PWCs and they have all had it after about 1 year of use. Although mine are in a different spoot then yours , you dont have to worry about them. I WOULD worry if you see ALOT of spider cracking around the pump tunnel as I heard the RXPxs on here were flaking and getting damaged. So if you see cracks around there it might be mroe serious then spiders.

My '03 GTX SC sits on a floating dock at the marina six months a year with a cover and no spider cracks that i've noticed yet... Ron

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    my 05 RXT had them everywhere! ... ski was stored indoors whenever it wasn't in the water... i've seen quite a few 3-seaters have them.

typical area it develops stress cracks in the gelcote is on the sides of the bottom hull just in front of the SEADOO stickers where the hull/rubrail is at its widest point. essentially across from where the gas tank sits inside the hull...

also a few got them on the back corner where the transom curved into the pump cavity.

had 2 3-seaters of my own with it (04 and 05) ... and have seen many of them pass thru with them....

i wouldn't worry about it personally tho... i never did, and it never got worse or posed a problem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information