water came in through my vts shaft ?? (xp 800 96)

vts motor took a dump, (96 xp800) opened the vts cover to see whats up, and there was water, and i mean alot of water. old smelly salt water. motor is garbage. no i have another one to put in, but i want to solve the problem for good, and not just end up throwing another motor away in the near future. any info on why this happened to my xp ? happen to anybody else before ? thanks guys,
    jeff

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    The rubber boot is torn in the rear that hooks to your nozzle, the old style hose clamps over time tear a hole in the boot allowing water to enter into the unit. The new style uses plastic clamps that lock.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...d/default.aspx

go to this site and select your ski and then go to trim and it will show you what im talking about

as you can see 8 is the boot that is probably torn and 9 and 10 are the old style hose clamps that damage the boot, when you order new clamps from seadoo they will be black plastic clamps the have little teeth that hold but you can undo them and use them again.

+1
    yes very common.
    you need a new accordion boot on the outside of the hull, and special plastic clamps that dont cut the rubber like the metal worm gear clamps.
    probably also need a new VTS rod, aka slide block, and motor obviously.
    make sure the VTS housing(the electronics) are still working.
    VTS rod has a magnet on it, usually rusts/ corrodes off when alot of water is in the housing.
    i have a VTS rod from a 97 spx, should fit, with worm gear, 20 bux shipped. let me know if you need a new rod.

I have had worm motors in water and i just blew them out with compressed air and put a shit ton of WD-40 in it and it worked fine. But i ride in fresh water and salt is a mother #########!

Also check your seal around your front vts cover maybe the seal was pinched and let water in. Did you ever get alot of water in your boat up to that level?

VTS trim is worthless, you can turn the worm gear by hand and leave it in the sweet spot and call it good. The black box which the vts worm motor sits in is about 164 bucks, the older ones start on fire and melt, the potting compound that they used to seal the electrical cracks and let's in water to short it out. Mine started smoking and burning when i was ready to put it into the water one time, If that ever happens just unplug the plug going to it and that will cut off the powerm just make sure that the smoldering is done> lol

good to know as I am supposed to be picking up a 96 XP this weekend...

i'll let you know lex if i need yours. plan on getting a better look today after work. hope my module is still good. i'l tear the vts system down to day for a closer inspection. any ideas on where to get a boot and clamps ?

any seadoo dealer will have the boots.

Parkeryamaha.com

usually has pretty good deals

+1
    dealer usually has them for a fair price, they arent trying to make money on these small parts, they wait for big services!!!!!

There was a service bulletin way back. Tyraps work well if you cant get the clamps

Thread Information