Piston Wash Question

I've searched the forum for piston wash, and have concluded that my '97 SLTX with the 1050 engine is running a bit lean.

What i can't figure out is how to correct this problem. Is there a fuel/air adjustment on the carburator (Keihin) or do i have to replace the jets?

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Can you post photos of the piston tops?

The Keihin carbs seem to be a little different than the Mikuni and Bing designs when it comes to tuning.

Is the engine running as it should, other than the piston wash suspicion?

What type of riding do you do?
    Mostly wide open throttle, or lots of mid-range running?

+1
    Hey Kl,A picture would be great.
    How did you determine you are lean?
    The 38mm Keihin carbs on your 97 should have low speed and high speed adjustment screws,there should be 2 small (black) plastic covers over these screws on each carb(located ,engine side,towards the fornt) remove that plastic cover,you will see the brass screw,the screws are hard to get to.
    If it is running lean you should remove the carbs and make sure the screens are not plugged (located under the jet blocks) it is actually pretty easy to take the carbs apart,the online service manualls will help you through it.

I don’t have any pictures, I used a boroscope.

I have two skis and they both seem to be running fine, but when I look at the piston domes, one ski has a few fingernail sized clear areas at the perimeter of each piston. While the other ski has less than a fingernail area on each piston.

We do mostly mid-range running. However, we do a lot of low rpm running because to get to the lake were we play, we have to go through a long no wake zone. I’d say a good eight minutes of low rpm at the beginning and end of each outing.

Does anyone sell an overhaul kit for these carbs or do you just buy the individual gaskets and seals as needed?

Thanks for the replies!

What usually plugs the screens?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kl7741 View Post
    What usually plugs the screens?
    They sometimes get plugged with a green substance,from the fuel lines detteriating, you should also replace the fuel lines,it's cheap and at 12 years old,it is probably time.

The carbs use o-rings and rubber diaphram. If your carefull,you will not need to replace them. Any PWC parts store should carry kits for the Kehein CDK II carbs

+1
    xxx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pistons2%20008.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	125057  

I plan to remove the carb and check/clean the screen, but after inspecting both of my Keihin carbs, they have no high speed adjustment screws. There is a molded area for them, but no screw. Just the idle speed screw.

Could this be possible?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kl7741 View Post
    I plan to remove the carb and check/clean the screen, but after inspecting both of my Keihin carbs, they have no high speed adjustment screws. There is a molded area for them, but no screw. Just the idle speed screw.

Could this be possible?
    Yes it is possible ,The Keihin 40mm carbs do not have high speed mixture adjusting screws. Acording to the service manual the 97 SLT( 3 seater) should have come with 38mm carbs (I'm pretty sure,but I have not actually taken 1 apart,the other 38mm carbs I have seen do have the high speed screws)When you have them off,you could measure the bottom opening,that is the carb size.

Either carb is pretty much the same inside,take a look,let us know what you find.

will do, thanks

Thread Information