Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ultra 150 taking on water from pump?

I bought my wife and sons a 99 ultra 150 ...i know very little of skis so im very new to this.the ski seems to be taking on water through the jet ..im sure through a seal or seals...when we loaded up the ski with water in hull it emptied thru the jet.( 1st time it filled we couldnt find it so this is how we did it) Im sure it needs to come apart and im not intimidated by this but i dont want to pull anything apart or out that isnt neccessary or that could get into more than i have to...any links or help? Thanks....Tony

+1
    Sounds like the mid bearing is toast. If that is the problem then you have to remove or at least lift the motor to pull the drive shaft and replace the bearing and holder. How fast is it comming in? There is also a sleeve that covers the drive shaft at the back of the ski, this can sometime slip off an water will rush into your ski. If you look it over I can help you with what ever you need.

Can you take some pics of your ski to show the paint job?

Welcome to the HULK

the water comes in regardless of whether it is running or not...and will fill the ski in a matter of hours...at first i thought it was coming from the front where there was damage above the bumper when i bought it...I repaired/built up the hole and painted it...anyway....we held the nose under water and had no water come in...well a drip or two from the wiring harness that runs thru the hood hinge...as far as pics what would i post those on....im not real computer savvy

+1
    Next time you post just go to attachments, browse for the pics, and then upload them.

Only do this if you inspect the bearing and cover with no findings. Pull the ski and put it on the trailer. Tilt it slightly back and fill the ski with an inch of water with the plugs in. This should let you find where the water is comming in from. Once you find where it is comming in I'll help any way I can.

ok thanks it will be tomorrow before i get back ive got to get ready for work......thanks again

I didnt have time to ck the ski today before work but heres a few pics....if i did it right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1863.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	125234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1864.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	125235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1865.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	802.6 KB 
ID:	125236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1866.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	826.4 KB 
ID:	125237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1437.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	125238  

Nice paint and body work! You may want to try taking it to the ramp and put it in the water still strapped down to the trailer. Fire it up with the seat off and get on the throttle a few times. If it is the bearing carrier or the tube mentioned earlier you will see it quickly. While its in there make sure the water supply line from the pump isnt leaking.

water leak

Before you put it in the water crawl underneath and have a look at the area the driveshaft enterer the hull. See if its pushed off the hull, this is most likely where your leak is.

The casting is sealed down and wave jumping can push this piece up enough to start leaking. Pretty easy to see. If you can't see any gaps then do like the others are saying and back it into the water.

Thanks guys ill ck in the am....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

leak from bearing holder

I have an '01ultra 150 in the shop now...it's leaking water from the 4 bolt bearing holder at the rear of the engine bay. This customer has had nothing but trouble with this ski since he got it off an ebayer out of florida, I'll spare the details of that nightmare.

had it out at the lake overnight and in the moring, well it was just about done, water over the top the engine yada yada yada. Water streams in from one of the bolt heads when it's in the water

Looks like the engine has to be pulled to properly repair this, caught a thread where somebody had tried to fix it without pulling the engine and the repair lasted only a few hours. Obviously if I fix this and it goes under, I could be on the hook for the engine.

Looks like the only thing keeping the water out of the engine bay is this four bolt plate and a buncho hull sealant. Read that the plate itself might be cracked. From what I can garner from the parts diagrams and shop manuals the drivesaft passes thru a rubber hose from the thru hull fitting which I assume attaches to the back of this four bolt bearing carrier

Opinions and tips much appreciated. I'm inclined to pull the engine and replace the plate to avoid potential liability, but this guy has dumped so much time and money into this ski I'd like to help him out a little with the most cost effective repair.

i did mention florida...I'm not keen on working on a ski that has seen heavy salt water use, this was the casue of some of the inital problems I had "fun" with.

Hoping somebody that has been there and done that will shed some light on this one for me, since I've not had an opportunity to deal with one of these yet.

thanks!

-p

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information