951 exhaust rave valve

I have a question about the rave valves on the 951 motors. How come when some people put a 951 motor into an earlier model or different brand hull, they just connect the exhaust rave valves together and not to the sylenoid valve that operates them? Isnt the purpose of these rave valves to move in and out to adjust the flow of exhaust with the vacuum of the motor? Is there any performance gain with just connecting them together? Why wouldnt you just block them off altogether?

There is no performance gain, but you also can't just connect them together without modifying them, if you do, they will not work correctly. Most people do it to eliminate the possibility of the solenoid failing. Racers do it for other reasons. I did it to eliminate the solenoid.

Thanks Piranha, but what modification needs to be done in order for the sylenoid not to be used? Also does it make a difference if they are connected together, because i see that on your motor, they are just capped off. Im trying to clean up the engine compartment and eliminate all unnecessary junk. Thanks

Also i see the windows you have in the caps, is that part of the mods? Is there a set dimension for that?

Read pages 20-21 on this thread for details and pics. As far as the cuts in the rave caps, thats just so i can easily tell that they are working correctly on the hose. Cut them however you want.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=81495&page=20

Thanks for the info, but based on those pics and descriptions, i am still confused on where to drill the rave valve....

I posted pics of exactally where to drill them on page 21 of that thread.

lol i dont know why i didnt see those before.. thank you very much for the info.. ill let you know how i make out- Brian

Not a problem, glad to help.

I am going to do this mod. on my 2000 XP

So after drilling both valve guide/housings at the angle in the thread given above as stated page 20 & 21.
    Like the photos below show

- looks hard to get the angle just right and have it come out perfect in the top - right at the edge of the horizontal-vertical ? RED outlined hole position below photo --- or does this work out OK just by keeping the angle as you all have said?

All I have to do is get the 800 motor springs and install them? And cap off the solenoid line ports?

Looks like a good idea to cut the window in the caps for a good view while on the hose?
    How did you cut those nice view slots in the cap? Drummel type tool?

TIA for any comments on this old thread revisit.

Bryan in McHenry, IL on the Fox River - Chain-O-Lakes

Thread Information