Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help needed on txi

i want to fit a external fuel pump on my txi has anyone done this, been told it will not work

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for Polaris Service and Parts manuals, and other useful info.

Why do you want to install an external fuel pump in your fuel injected Virage TXi ?

If you have a low fuel pressure problem, this can often be repaired.

Repairing or replacing the Polaris in-tank fuel pump would be much safer than installing an external electric fuel pump.

Fuel leakage inside a PWC hull is a very serious matter. Most automotive fuel pumps are also not suitable for Marine use.

+1
    Welcome

02 Virage 1200 TXi

Hey K447....how are you? I've been in and out of this forum since I bought my first Polaris last year (a 95 SLT750). Tonight, I just put money down on an '02 Virage 1200 TXi.

Looks like you have a similar machine and I just wondered if you can tell me anything about it? Do you like it? Anything I should look out for?

I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks for your time!!!

+1

Arrow Virage TXi - things to check

Quote Originally Posted by way2much2do View Post
    ...I just put money down on an '02 Virage 1200 TXi.

...tell me anything about it?
    Do you like it?
    Anything I should look out for?...
    Well...
    Do all the normal checks - compression, hoses, cables, clamps, nuts, bolts,, hull cracks, intake grate, etc.

Look very carefully at the molded ribs in the SMC hull material, especially around the engine mounts and under the engine. If the hull is flexing and cracking, this is where you will see it first. I stuck my digital camera down there on close-up mode, and just took lots of pictures.

Also check battery charge voltage (14.5), fuel pressure (20+PSI), and Injector voltage (White/Red wire should have 20+ volts when cranking, 45 volts engine running). Write down the values for future reference.

Other than checking fuel pressure, I wouldn't mess with the fuel injectors unless you suspect a problem. Use 89 octane or better. I use 91 octane premium, mostly to get away from ethanol in the fuel.

Install a decent battery, like the Deka ETX16LM sealed AGM, or the Odyssey PC625 sealed AGM.

Check the list of Service Bulletins for any that may apply to your unit. Make sure to check for fuel hose abrasion near the injectors, and sleeve them per
    Polaris Service Bulletin PWC-04-01 (Ficht Fuel hose abrasion on injector brackets)

If you can, ask a Polaris dealer to check your HIN number, and verify that all outstanding Service Bulletins were actually completed for your unit.

Check and clean the thermostat and by-pass plunger, then put them back. Fuel injected engines need the engine running at the proper temperature, not too cold.

Replace any zip ties on bilge pump and other hoses with proper hose clamps. Make sure the bilge pump is actually working. Check that the speedo pitot hose is not loose or cracked.

If the hood won't stay open, replace the gas spring. I think I adjusted the latch post to get the hood to close tightly.

I also added a layer of sealing tape around the rim of the hull storage opening, to maximize the sealing. It reduced the amount of water getting in considerably.

Grease the through-hull bearing with waterproof marine lithium bearing grease.

The Virage through-hull bearing attaches to a Virage specific black plastic fitting, with a special nut on the tunnel side. Check that the fitting is not loose at all, as it can leak water there. Hasn't happened to me, but others have reported the nut working loose.

Clean the exhaust water injection screen and orifice.

Check that none of the cooling hoses are kinked, especially the small ones under the front of the engine.

Check the clamps on the fuel and oil tank filler hoses.

If the reverse lever seems stiff or sticks, it can be loosened up.

Make sure all the EMM connectors are fully seated, and there is no moisture or corrosion on the pins. The big 40-pin EMM connector is a bear to remove, since it is held in with a hex bolt in an awkward location. Don't mess with it unless you need to.

Make sure all the hoses and electrical harness are properly restrained. In my own Virage TXi, some things were just flopping around.

If the TPS is original, purchase a current part number spare TPS and keep it on hand.

Check the throttle cable adjustment - make sure when the throttle lever is pegged, that the throttle plates are fully opened. Also check the cable slack at idle.

With the throttle cable properly set, check the oil pump cable for fraying just inside the sleeve. Also check that the index mark on the arm aligns with the reference mark on the body. Change the oil filter while you are down there

My steering was rather stiff, so I spray lubed the steering column (a bit messy getting it in there), and injected marine grease (syringe) under the rubber boots on each end of the steering cable. Loosened up nicely. I also greased under the reverse cable boot.

Check the impeller clearance, the jet pump mounting bolts, and the cooling water intake screen inside the main nozzle.

One of my Virage had a slow oil leak where the hose clamps onto the tank nipple. I had to shave off some plastic roughness to get the hose to seal properly.

Carefully check the negative battery cable where it mounts on the engine.

As you can see here, I also cleaned up the mounting of some of the electrical items. Make sure the clear boots are covering the circuit breakers. One of my circuit breakers was cracked where the threaded mounting joined the body. If the top section feels loose, it may be cracked inside.

There is no electrical box on a 2002 Virage TXi, so the various modules are distributed around the wire harness. Make sure they are all strapped down so they don't bounce around and stress the wiring.

Check the waterbox mounting, and the PLANET resonator mountings
    2002-1996 Virage, SL, SLX, SLTX waterbox bracket; potential damage to waterbox bottom

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5200022.JPG 
Views:	614 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	128616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119893.JPG 
Views:	464 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	128617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5240088.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	128620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040463.JPG 
Views:	422 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	128624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040468.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	523.3 KB 
ID:	128625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0878.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	128626  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149969.JPG 
Views:	374 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	128627  

6. +1 by:

+1
    The MFI display has a security feature. You can set a lock code, and then easily lock the starter when you leave the machine.

If you don't know the current code, and it isn't the factory default, there is a simple way to reset the security lock code back to the factory default.

If you would like a Compass on the MFI, you can use the MFI from a Genesis or PERC model Virage. These displays also have a Depth Finder option, but I have not found any info on whether non-Polaris transducers will work with the MFI.

Wow K....talk about thorough. Thanks just doesn't quite cut it.

Thank you SO much!!! I guess I've got some work to do.

Thanks again!!!!

K447 posted some info and links earlier in this thread about the MFI (multi-function interface, a.k.a. the display). I just picked up a 2001 Virage 1200 TXi. The original owner and the 2nd owner (brother and sister) were unable to remember the lock code. They didn't recall programming their own code, and the factory default code of 1234 didn't work either.

K447's link has some instructions which tell you how to reset the code to the factory default of 1234. The instructions tell you to ground pins 5 & 6 (pink and blue - fuel and oil level senders). I tried this two different ways and can't get the code to reset.

Method 1:
    ----------
    Disconnected the connector from MFI so the MFI is NOT powered, then jumpered pins 5 & 6 simultaneously on the back of the MFI to the ground wire (pin 3 - black wire) in the harness. Then, re-connected the connector. No change.

Method 2:
    ----------
    Left the connector plugged into the MFI, so the MFI is powered. Waited for the MFI to go into sleep mode. Removed the orange silicone water-proof seal from the back-side of the connector so I could access the pins WHILE THE CONNECTOR WAS STILL PLUGGED INTO THE MFI. Then, simultaneously jumped pins 5 & 6 to pin 3 (ground). Removed the jumpers, and then pushed a button on the MFI to wake it up. Still no change.

Method 3:
    ----------
    Left the connector plugged into the MFI, so the MFI is powered. Waited for the MFI to go into sleep mode. Removed the orange silicone water-proof seal from the back-side of the connector so I could access the pins WHILE THE CONNECTOR WAS STILL PLUGGED INTO THE MFI. Then, simultaneously jumped pins 5 & 6 to pin 3 (ground). Pushed a button on the MFI to wake it up. Held down the #3 button until "Enter Security Code----" appeared. Hit buttons 1-2-3-4 in that order, and still get same message "Invalid Code." Then removed jumpers and tried entering security code again.

Has anyone successfully reset their MFI lock code back to factory 1234 and if so, can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by way2much2do; 05-02-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Tested yet another method with no luck after finding another post

+1
    Hmmm, try this;

Your method 3 was close

- While display is sleeping, unplug oil sender and short the two wires going back to the MFI.
    - Unplug the fuel sender, and short the pink wire to ground (black wire) feeding back to the MFI.
    - Press Display button to wake up display
    - Enter default security code 1234

No other button presses, just these.

Ohhhhhh.....there I go again - not following directions. I think my 1st grade teacher wrote something about that in my report card.

So, you think the part I screwed up was the button pushing sequence? If I perform the grounding again, but this time, ONLY press "DISPLAY" (to wake up the MFI), then press 1-2-3-4 even though it doesn't say "Enter Code" on the display, it will work?

Thanks K447....I'll give that a try as soon as the sun comes back up and report back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information