Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Gunna : SHO Build for Bridge to Bridge Race

Hi Guys, I would respect your input for the following project.

I have a stock SHO 08 cruiser which I would like to put into the Sydney Bridge to Bridge Race next May (that'll be in 2010). I'm not serious about winning but would like to give it a shot (mid life crisis and all that).

After searching the Yamaha 4 stroke forum for the last few months this is what I am aiming at first.
    • Motec M400 ecu with plug-in cables @ $3600AUD. This is coming from Gary W at Lismore in NSW Australia. Thanks Gary. This will give the project "No limitations" as far as the electrics go while keeping full functionality of the cruise, no wake, dash, etc. Also the Motec will give me 4 seperate programs for economy, standard, drag race and top speed.
    • C5 Monster Wheel from Mr. Gaddis and team.
    • 13/25 Prop which will be re-pitchrd as needed.
    • (May09) 2 x SX Intercoolers in the front storage
    • Gauges for intake boost, o2 and temp on exhaust, oil temp to keep an eye on all things internal.
    • (May09) Pump tunnel Pressure sensor and relief valves for overstuffing.
    • (May09) Dual Port Blow-off Valve by TurboSmart.
    Edit: While this thread goes on, there'll be FYI posts which I have found which will help myself and hopefully others. This is an information thread so I hope you'll enjoy.

What happens after May 2010, well "been there done that", sell ski, next project! Until then, let the hobby begin.
    Last edited by Gunna; 04-30-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: .

From what I have seen from someone else running this setup is you need to get the hot air out of the ski or its gonna cook and you'll loose power he used to race without his rear seat and holes cut in the hood...Although he wasn't running the I/C...Damm fast ski Pulled away from my T-X on a supercoarse and also Blitz a P-X by aleast 200mtrs a lap....Then the Engine(Flywheel Bolt broke and Bounced round the Inside) let go and That was the end of that Ski........ was quick though....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Hi Guys, I would respect your input for the following project.

I have a stock SHO 08 cruiser which I would like to put into the Sydney Bridge to Bridge Race next May (that'll be in 2010). I'm not serious about winning but would like to give it a shot (mid life crisis and all that).

After searching the Yamaha 4 stroke forum for the last few months this is what I am aiming at first.
    • Motec M400 ecu with plug-in cables @ $3600AUD. This is coming from Gary W at Lismore in NSW Australia. Thanks Gary. This will give the project "No limitations" as far as the electrics go while keeping full functionality of the cruise, no wake, dash, etc. Also the Motec will give me 4 seperate programs for economy, standard, drag race and top speed.
    • C5 Monster Wheel from Mr. Gaddis and team.
    • 13/25 Prop.
    • Intercooler (tba?)
    • Guages for intake boost, o2 and temp on exhaust, oil temp to keep an eye on all things internal.
    Oil.
    A good friend of mine who has never seen a jetski let alone ride one said one thing when I first mentioned this project. GET THE RIGHT RACE OIL. I know this topic opens a can of worms every time it's mentioned but get this wrong and things go from great to bad and expensive very quickly.

There'll be a million other things to cover over the next few months but I thought I would start with this lot first.

What happens after May 2010, well "been there done that", sell ski, next project! Until then, let the hobby begin.
    See you at the Bridge to Bridge its one race not to miss....

You have some real nice goodies....

we are using the 13/25 prop with the c3 you are gonna need more prop...you will also need the upgraded intercooler and a bov the stock intercooler only has 6 small passages for the air....I would say you atleast need all of stage 1 to support these mods.

+1

Cooling Engine Bay and Flapping Flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    From what I have seen from someone else running this setup is you need to get the hot air out of the ski or its gonna cook and you'll loose power he used to race without his rear seat and holes cut in the hood...Although he wasn't running the I/C...Damm fast ski Pulled away from my T-X on a supercoarse and also Blitz a P-X by aleast 200mtrs a lap....Then the Engine(Flywheel Bolt broke and Bounced round the Inside) let go and That was the end of that Ski........ was quick though....
    Hi Pooche, thanks for that.
    Cooling the inside of the engine bay may be as easy as removing the rear seat as you said (for the race and trials) and opening up somewhere in the front for incoming air. There's a few threads on this which I'll look into.

The flywheel coming loose sounds like a fairly dramatic event. Is this a common SHO/Yami issue when pushed hard or just a once off? For that matter, what else can go bang when running a motor like this above and beyond........ without TOO much internal work (I'm a sorta "bolt-on" guy not the "rebuild motor" type guy) Nice to know, fix it before it goes bad.

We could start a "What I Have Smashed on my SHO Motor" thread.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    See you at the Bridge to Bridge its one race not to miss....

You have some real nice goodies....
    Thanks Mik72e,
    I read once that the spectator can image all he wants but the experience belongs to the competitors.
    If I finish without been towed, I'll be happy.
    Looking forward to it in 2010.

From what I know Bouncing of a 9000 limiter in reverse is not good for the Motor.....I don't know who gary is but listen to him...

+1

More Prop, Intercooler Upgrade and Stage 1 kit Parts.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    we are using the 13/25 prop with the c3 you are gonna need more prop...you will also need the upgraded intercooler and a bov the stock intercooler only has 6 small passages for the air....I would say you atleast need all of stage 1 to support these mods.
    Thanks allstar71,
    Prop
    I was going to pop the question on the prop a little later but now you mention it..........
    Jerry is currently at his limit rebending the standard prop for his FZR as the approach angle (?) is not right..... hence his moving to the 13/25. I'll be getting a prop guage off one of the US guys to check angles etc, but with this project I was wondering if the angles should be even taller? And how far would someone in their right mind rebend a 13/25??
    Someone mentioned in the Polaris section that each degree of bend will reduce the RPM by 100 (but increase velocity). Is this true or over-simplified?

Different Cone Lenghts behind prop.
    And too make things even more complex someone around here is developing offset cones at different (5 or 6) lenghts to help with increasing speed, cavitation, etc........this will take me a while to understand the complexity of the dynamics of the pump tunnel.

Blow Off Valves
    I know I will definately need one of these but at what pressure is the setting and how will it affect the motor at a quick start and 30 minutes at WOT (the race is 62km's/38miles or about 25 minutes). A link about BOV's would be handy if someone could point the right direction?

Upgraded intercooler
    Yep, the Yamaha intercooler will be removed and used to hold the door open in summer or keep those papers from flying around in the wind.
    However what to put in it's place. The XS type from various ebay and internet sources all look attractive (especially on price) but is the difference between Vortec cores and "the others" really worth it?
    Sorry Vortec and team.....had to ask the question
    Also, what is the biggest/best IC that can fit inside the SHO engine bay? The in-line tube units look good but so do the others.
    Oh, and dumb question, what is the outlet diameter of the C5-11 .....2.5inches? Haven't checked that as yet.
    Is it any better to use 3" tubing for the intercooling with adaptors at the blower and inlet,.......... or just stick with 2.5" all round. (The reason I ask this is why do they use oversize tubing, then an adaptor, on the intake of the blower for the R&D kits?......... Is this to do with "squeezing IN" more air at the inlet?)

Ooops, too many questions I think

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
    just stick to what Gary tells you as 99% of people dont know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooche View Post
    From what I know Bouncing of a 9000 limiter in reverse is not good for the Motor.....I don't know who gary is but listen to him...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information