Think I found why I always have a dead battery (96 XP)

I've only had my ski since last fall (1st ski) and ever since I got it I've had to swap batteries as often as I had to refuel. The ski ran like a bat out of hell, but after about 4 hours the ole battery light would come on and I knew I needed to head toward shore.

Someone here mentioned the rectifier and I finally got around to swapping it out. I'm no pro, but I think this was the prob lol. Just hoping the ski doesn't turn around and fry this one now...

New

Old

That was probably the issue. Shouldn't burn up another unless there are other issues. Goodluck

Update, just had a chance to run the ski on the hose finally.

I was just reading another thread where someone said I should be reading 13.5+ vdc when jumping on the throttle, but when I put the ski on the hose after changing the Rec it just read a stable 12.84 and would jump up to 12.85 every once in a while. Do I still have elec problems if I'm not noticing spikes when hitting the throttle hard?

how charged was the battery? a good check is check the battery voltage then start the ski and check it again make sure it is charging

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    how charged was the battery? a good check is check the battery voltage then start the ski and check it again make sure it is charging
    Brand new sealed $70 battery. Tested in at 12.83 before starting the ski (So basically the voltage didn't change after starting). This was the 1st use the battery had seen. I had it on a Battery Tender all week prior to dropping it in.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post
    ...should be reading 13.5+ vdc when jumping on the throttle, but when I put the ski on the hose after changing the Rec it just read a stable 12.84 and would jump up to 12.85 every once in a while.

Do I still have electrical problems if I'm not noticing spikes when hitting the throttle hard?
    A healthy, charged and 'rested' 12 volt non-AGM battery, by itself, will produce about 12.5 volts when just sitting, or under mild electrical load.

A very recently charged battery, or an AGM type battery, will show a slightly higher voltage, around 12.8 volts.

When the charging system is working properly, the voltage at the battery with the engine running needs to be above 13.5 volts before the battery will actually be charging.

12.x volts with the engine running means the battery is not being charged. The battery itself is still powering the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A healthy, charged and 'rested' 12 volt non-AGM battery, by itself, will produce about 12.5 volts when just sitting, or under mild electrical load.

A very recently charged battery, or an AGM type battery, will show a slightly higher voltage, around 12.8 volts.

When the charging system is working properly, the voltage at the battery with the engine running needs to be above 13.5 volts before the battery will actually be charging.

12.x volts with the engine running means the battery is not being charged. The battery itself is still powering the ski.
    Damn.... I was afraid of that... Well as you can see it's not the Rectifier... Could anything other than the Stator be causing my condition at this point? There was a week long period last year immediately after I bought the ski where the rear elec box was completely filled with water before I found it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JJLee138 View Post
    ...as you can see it's not the Rectifier...
    Have you checked the rectifier since you installed it?

If there is a problem elsewhere, the rectifier could also have become damaged (again)...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

If there is a problem elsewhere, the rectifier could also have become damaged (again)...
    +1

Need to pull your front cover and inspect the stator windings for hot spots. The gray epoxy will turn brown if it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    +1

Need to pull your front cover and inspect the stator windings for hot spots. The gray epoxy will turn brown if it's bad.
    Aye, my attention is on the Stator now. I'm guessing I'll find my problem in there when I pull the mag cover. Bleh lol

Thread Information