Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

AIRFLOW Work (XS Type 9)

AIRFLOW XS Intercooler Type 9 (smaller)

Some of you know that XS style IC comes in 2 different sizes, the larger one is what everyone is use to (type 3). The smaller one (Type 9) is definately smaller.

Some known differences...

- The CORE is roughly 2/3rd the size of the larger unit.
    - Smaller endcaps
    - 2.5" inlets, compared to 3" inlets on the larger unit.

The flow was as expected, roughly about the same as the BRP X / Riva Gen2 unit, but with half the core size.

Cooling capabilities, tough to say, depends on water flow. As for a replacement for the Riva Gen1's, the Piranha's, or if you want a smaller/tighter package....this unit will work

For history on previous flow work, and reference as to the numbers, please click on this link…
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40111

*** The numbers below represent AIRFLOW ONLY...They represent ANY 4TEC motor (N/A, non-IC SC'd, SC'd) that is spinning at roughly 6000 RPM, and does not reflect any other....Nor does it reflect airflow behavior above 6000 RPM, such as modded motors that spin at 8100-8600 RPM...BUT these numbers can predict what effect some mods will do at those air rates...

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.

***** Other airflow work is available in these threads...

Manifold w/ IC setups (Piranha, Riva, XS)

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46959

Kanaflex, Riva Rear Air, etc.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85309

Intercoolers

OEM IC
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18850

Piranha/Riva IC and XS IC
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19138

Rotax Racing IC
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22162

Waterbox’s

GreenBox and Shorty Waterbox
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40111

X Waterbox and Pipe
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65645

OEM Waterbox and Full Size Gutted
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24191

Gibson and X IC
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68684

Thanks for the flow work Danny!

One thing I would like to add is if you check out silicone intakes description of the type 3 you will notice that it is recommended for applications pushing 700cfm or more, where the type 9 is recommended for 450cfm or more. Does anyone know how much cfm we are pushing with our skis?

And Danny, question for you: based on your testing here in your opinion which is the better option for us the larger type 3 or smaller type 9, and why?

Here are some pics of my type 9 setup. I'll have full install pics this weekend. Just needed to get some new pipes and couplers. This entire setup: bracket, pipes, intercooler, fittings, hose, straps, bolts, and shipping cost me about $300.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 03-26-2010 at 11:32 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    Here are some pics of my type 9 setup. I'll have full install pics this weekend. Just needed to get some new pipes and couplers. This entire setup: bracket, pipes, intercooler, fittings, hose, straps, bolts, and shipping cost me about $300.
    How much was the bracket? He quoted me at a price that would make your $300 total seem silly.

Intercooler = $150 + shipping
    Bracket = I'll let you comment
    Pipes/couplers = ?
    Stock IC B/O, brass fittings and clamps = You already had

I just want to know how much it'd cost to put a complete kit with stock IC B/O together so I know if it's lower than the online store price for the XS unit. I think it's close. I might be able to put something together for you guys in the future featuring this smaller IC.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    How much was the bracket? He quoted me at a price that would make your $300 total seem silly.

Intercooler = $150 + shipping
    Bracket = I'll let you comment
    Pipes/couplers = ?
    Stock IC B/O, brass fittings and clamps = You already had

I just want to know how much it'd cost to put a complete kit with stock IC B/O together so I know if it's lower than the online store price for the XS unit. I think it's close. I might be able to put something together for you guys in the future featuring this smaller IC.
    Bracket was scrap steel, free. Start using more steel and the price is going to go up. I'm looking at this as a homemade project. I paid to have it anodized. $30 to have it anodized and shipped is all I paid for. IC was $168 shipped from here http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...61242dba8296fd. Plastic 90 degree fittings were picked up from a friend for free. Again, I'm looking at this as a project I pieced together, used my resources wisely. Pipes were $50 shipped. Now I may have gotten screwed on that, could have bought 4 pipes accidentally. Not sure if it said they were sold in pairs at $20 or not. Couplers cost me about $35 total, shipping included. One 45* 2.5" and 3 straight 2.5". Only thing I forgot to add was the blockoff, so figure normal price for that, $50. So with the blockoff which I forgot to add that brings me to $335 for everything, shipping and all if I didn't buy too many pipes.

As far as the bracket goes I will explain for Jared. I asked for the bracket over a month ago. He got started on it. I received it last week, so it's not something that was instantly cranked out. Not like I care because my lake still has ice on it. His job requires him to run a tough schedule. He is very crunched on time and is often called in on matters. He has used friends plasma cutters, welders, etc. He does not have everything at his disposal. This was a blue collar project. His ability to produce these for everyone is simply not possible, unless the cost go way up. He did this for me as a one time only friend type thing. He has put a lot of effort into designing that bracket. It is 100% his design, he did not copy anyone else. Sure he may have looked at pics, but he did not take direct measurements from any other bracket. He is 100% willing to help people and is great to deal with, but understandably he is not willing to give up his bracket design for nothing. He feels his time is worth more than that. I figure he gave me such a good deal because we chat a lot and bounce a lot of ideas off each other. We have helped each other with problems and setups a lot, so again I got a good deal as a friend. Had I asked him to do this for me out of the blue the cost probably would have went up. He takes pride in his work too. This is a well thought out and put together bracket. I hope that explains everything.

James, I will have the pipe cut measurements by Saturday. And will post complete install pics.

-Rex

Banned User
    +1
    [quote=RXP-REX;1016140] Does anyone know how much cfm we are pushing with our skis?[/quote]

I think I worked it out to about 500ish CFM @ 6000rpm, but those were quick calculations...Obviously the larger unit would be better for typical setups, but you need to take into account the cooling capability at that CFM/restriction...

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    And Danny, question for you: based on your testing here in your opinion which is the better option for us the larger type 3 or smaller type 9, and why?
    I would suggest anyone that is running a stock wheel/ Riva Gen 1/ GreenWheel/ Riva Gen 2, you can use the smaller unit with no issues....Anything LARGER, and you need to step up the size of the IC...But this is just based on airflow work, not cooling ability, so you must research the BRP/Riva Gen2 unit, and even the old Riva Gen1's...and if you can find a Piranha, that unit too...

+1
    Alright, that's all I was wondering Rex.

Thanks for the good work and write-up as always Danny!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I think I worked it out to about 500ish CFM @ 6000rpm, but those were quick calculations...Obviously the larger unit would be better for typical setups, but you need to take into account the cooling capability at that CFM/restriction...

I would suggest anyone that is running a stock wheel/ Riva Gen 1/ GreenWheel/ Riva Gen 2, you can use the smaller unit with no issues....Anything LARGER, and you need to step up the size of the IC...But this is just based on airflow work, not cooling ability, so you must research the BRP/Riva Gen2 unit, and even the old Riva Gen1's...and if you can find a Piranha, that unit too...

Yea, I'm curious about cooling capability too. I will find out soon though. I will have to wait until June/July to know for sure though, since the cold water temps for the first couple months will skew my results. I'll compare averages this year to last year as far as speeds go. I would think the type 9 would provide a little better throttle response than the type 3. I figured the cfm range for the type 9 was better for us. We'll see though.

Banned User
    +1
    If it weren't for the difference in CORE layout (bar and plate thickness), it would be a perfect replacement for a Riva Gen1...I need to get my hands on their tube style IC's (Type 19)...

+1
    What would be a better bar and plate thickness? I might be able to have it made..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information