1995 SLT 750 Electrical Issue

I Just recently purchased a 1995 SLT 750 on Craigslist. The guy I bought it from said that he put too large of a battery in it and it shorted out some wires and electrical box components???

I replaced all the wires that appeared to visibly be shorted out.
    I opened up the electrical box and found that the 1/4amp fuse was blown. I replaced it. I then did some tests with my volt meter. I found a few weird things going on.
    My Battery is brand new and Iam getting 12V off of the terminals.

At the Ground Terminal Strip, I am not getting 12V. Iam getting a reading of anywhere from 3 to 7 volts. When I have the Battery connnected and try to start ski, I get nothing. When I run a jumper wire from the ground on the battery to the main ground lug in the electrical box, the engine will try to turn over. But, I get no spark in either instance. Do I have A bad CDI?

Anyone ever experience anything like this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the 1992-1998 Polaris Service Manual, and other useful stuff.

It sounds like the black wire running from the electrical stator (inside the flywheel) to the electrical box may have been damaged (burned out). This can happen if the battery positive post shorts against the metal shell of the electrical box.

Disconnect the battery positive cable at the battery, and put it aside (but not touching anything else).

Now use your multi-meter to check for zero ohms between the battery negative post, the engine block, and the electrical box black wires.

If it does not measure zero ohms (or really close to zero ohms) from every black wire to battery negative, then you need to repair the black wire going to the stator assembly.

The stator black wire is grounded to the engine block inside the stator frame, and this is the only ground connection between the electrical box and the battery negative.

Also, compare the wiring in the service manual wiring diagram against what you actually have inside your electrical box, make sure they match.

BTW, make sure the MFD replacement fuse is also 1/4 Amp rated, not higher.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

Sounds like you have a bad ground connection,I think the neg cable goes to the engine plate. Clean all your cable ends .
    If the starter tries to ground through the small wires they will burn up.

If it cranks slow,and batt voltage is less than 10.6 while cranking,it will not get spark.Clean all the ground connections in the box,I think it shoud of had a small ground to the batt (I may be wrong though)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ...I think it should of had a small ground to the battery (I may be wrong though)
    I can't put my finger on it, but I think there was a Service Bulletin about removing that second ground wire, leaving the stator ground as the only ground path for the electrical box.

If someone can confirm that, let me know.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk scsuha.

While you're in the elec box, take an ohm reading of the elec stator wires. The specs should be listed in the link K447 posted for you.

Definately sounds like the ground cable has issues. Check the connection to the engine plate, and make sure the connector is tight on the wire. Someone had a loose connection there that was hard to diagnose, but he pulled on the wire and it came right off.

Unfortunately there is no way to test a CDI. You need to test all other components, and if they pass, then you TRY replacing the CDI.

Make sure the circuit breaker isn't tripped on top of the elec box. It should be down, not popped up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I can't put my finger on it, but I think there was a Service Bulletin about removing that second ground wire, leaving the stator ground as the only ground path for the electrical box.

If someone can confirm that, let me know.
    With the stator/cdi up grade kit for the domestic engines,yes Polaris recommends the small ground wire is removed from the negative battery post.( I still don't under stand why,must be some sort of way to avoid elctrical interference ,I'm not a big fan of grounding the bilge pump-trim motor-voltage regulator-than other small amp parts through that small wire to the stator,but that's just me )

I don't remember if the Fuji engine also used that ground wire

sorry for bumping this thread but i have the same problem but currently the wires just burned up. I have no idea what im doing, what are these wires and where do they go?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm assuming it's a Fuji (blue engine) that you have.....

Stator wires go from the stator housing (front of engine) to the elec box.

poor ground will smoke the wires normally, or a missing battery cover since the elec box is aluminum.

Thread Information