My first Ski, How to prep for summer

Hi, I just purchased a 1996 SL700. I wanted to now what maintenance and repairs need to be made with a purchase of a used jet. I don't know what maintenance has been done before I bought it.

When I went to pick it up the previous owner said that the battery died and that he would jump start it. He jump started it after about 5 mins of trying it finally cranked over. When it started there was a lot of smoke whitish/blue in color. He said it works fine and that he brought it to the shop for regular maintness.

What parts need to be replaced and where can I purchase them from?
    I was thinking fuel filter, oil filter, water seperator, plugs, intake filter, and just a general clean up. I just don't know where to buy them.

Thank you in advance.

Go buy a AGM (16CLB) I Think? battery for it you can find them online for about $50.00 or so they are the best way to go(you can buy it at a part store also). The fuel filters can be bought at your local parts store just take the old one with you, the oil filter must be order online, just do a search for polaris parts on google, or just ebay. The ski does not have conventional air filter it has flame arrestors, just clean it out with brake clean and you will be ready to go. The water seperator, can be taken apart and clean with brake clean or carb cleaner, nothing need replace just make sure it is all clean, do not forget to check the selector switch the gum up and can cause a lean fuel condition.

Alot of guys will recomend replacing fuel lines also, I have replaced mine on all of my skies because the lines get brittle, I would replace them if it were mine. Regular automotive 1/4 fuel line will work just fine.

Check the carbs too make sure that they are clean just do a search or someone else will chime in and tell you all about how to take them apart and clean them.

Spark plugs are availible from any parts store.

Good luck remember ask questions we all were new at this sport at one point

Tim

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk sebas.

Tim pointed you in the right direction.

Get yourself familiar with the on line manual in the tech section of here. Lots of info posted, you just need to take some time and read up.

You have a Domestic (red) engine in that ski. So look for tech tips on domestic engines, elec, fuel, etc...

It's a good idea to get new fuel hose, costs around $20 for 18'

Make sure to grease the driveshaft bearing/seal with marine grade grease.

Parts can be had at many places, but the O.E. parts can be bought at places like Watcon.com, Babbittsonline.com, and Partsland.com

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!
    Your PWC is a 2 stroke motor,which will have some smoke normally. When it is winterized, a fogging oil is sprayed in the cyliners and will smoke even more when started in the spring for the first time.
    The 96 SL700 used a warning buzzer (located under the handle bar pad) for low oil or over heat warning,sometimes the buzzer doesn't work. Make sure the oil tank is full before every ride,it doesn't use very much oil,but nice to make sure it is full. The oil tank cap is under the hood,just before the steering counsel.
    Absolutely replace the battery.
    It would be nice to make sure the bige pump works,hopefully you never need it,I don't think the -96 has a blue bilge button by the Start/stop switch,the service manual will help you test the bilge pump.

Have fun!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    Hi, I just purchased a 1996 SL700.

I wanted to now what maintenance and repairs need to be made with a purchase of a used jet. I don't know what maintenance has been done before I bought it...
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Click here for the 1992-1998 Polaris Service manual, and other useful info.

There also some info on sealed AGM batteries, which are the best type of battery for PWC use. I like the East-Penn Deka ETX16LM battery, others like the Odyssey sealed AGM batteries PC625 battery - both are very good.

When installing the new battery, make 100% certain that you have the polarity correct. Also make sure the insulating battery cover is in place, if your model has one.

Read the Service Manual - lots of good info regarding maintenance and such. I suggest you check cylinder compression, per the service manual.

Use the Greenhulk search function to find and read. There is a lot of knowledge tucked away across the many threads and posts. Keep in mind that you cannot search for words shorter than four letters (a forum software limitation).

Lubricate the drive shaft through-hull bearing with lithium base water proof marine bearing grease.

Since you do not know what maintenance has been done, assume no maintenance has happened, and proceed accordingly. Check everything, including examining the hull for cracks. Check every nut and bolt for tightness, engine, upper deck hardware, jet pump - all of it.

Look for possible missing parts, and anything that looks bent or damaged.

BTW, in the future, never jump start a PWC from a vehicle. There is the potential for damage to the CDI electronics in the PWC, which cost a lot more than a PWC battery.

When you have the electrical box open, check the part number on the CDI. Polaris issued an Ignition Update Kit that included your model, as the original factory installed ignitions were failing over time.

Thank you all for such an open welcome and very informative answers. I really appreciate it. This forum is great!!

What a relief that some parts don't need to be changes just cleaned. Does the ski have an oil filter?

I charged the battery and it holds the charge and the charger didn't indicate it was faulty. I will try my luck with the old battery but I will follow all of your advise. Where is the drive shaft through-hull bearing. I was searching domestic engine and couldn't find anything. Also, is the bilge automatic, does it have a float switch in it.

Thank you all again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    ...Does the ski have an oil filter?
    See service manual

I charged the battery and it holds the charge and the charger didn't indicate it was faulty...
    The test for a battery being 'good' is this;
    While the engine is actually being cranked on the starter motor, the battery terminals must be delivering more than 10.5 volts, measured with a multi-meter.
    In fact, a really good battery will deliver 11.0 volts or better, while cranking the engine.

Checking battery voltage when the battery is just sitting there is not a useful test, especially if the battery was just on the charger.

Where is the drive shaft through-hull bearing. I was searching domestic engine and couldn't find anything.
    Service Manual, and the Parts manual...

Also, is the bilge automatic, does it have a float switch in it.
    The bilge pump is powered by the Orange wire from the LR module. When the engine is rotating, the LR module switches on power to the Orange wire, thereby powering the bilge pump the entire time the motor is running.

The bilge pump is rated for continuous operation, wet or dry.

Through-hull bearing looks like this.

Thread Information