Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to tell if you need a new wear ring?

I had my pump out the other day to swap props and I was looking at my wear ring. It looks okay I guess, but I noticed a few small marks. I'm not familiar with how to tell if it's been damaged or if it's fine. How can you tell? And is the general consensus on wear rings still that stainless = better and plastic = no good? thanks

+1

wear ring specs pump liner symptoms

check your clearance specs per the service manual.

0.35 ~ 0.45 (0.014 ~ 0.01

I've been running a plastic liner for 3 years now with no problems.

Several things can promote premature wear on the wear rings (pump liner). i.e.) bad bearings, sucking up gravel, trash, starting motor in too shallow of water, too much clearance, out of balance impeller/warped or bent driveshaft, blade out of spec on an impeller, pump shoe not sealed (sucking in air) causing cavitation burns, ect.....

The stainless ones are more durable and tend to last longer.

What I like about the plastic one, if something hard were to get in there, the plastic wear ring / pump liner is more forgiving and will take the hit vs your impeller.

But, damage can occur either route.

Some symptoms:

Over time, your holeshot will suffer
    Over time, you will lose some top end speed
    The motor spins up fast and you will experience "slipping out of the hole"

From this, cavitation will be more prominent from the increased clearance and more damage will occur over time from the cavitation.

+1
    if anybody needs a wearing I have several extra used ones that are in very good condition for sale

thanks

ok got it what tool should i use to check the specs? if it is out of spec, do u think i should get the housing with the removable plastic liner or another stainless setup?

+1
    Either liner is fine. I like the plastic. I like the sacraficial property of it if I were to get something hard in it. I've got over 3 years on mine now.
    Stainless one are very durable. You can scoop up several used OEM stainless lineer here on the forum I also.

check the tolerances with a feeer gauge. They have leaves of different thicknesses to check measurement.

cool

the plastic ones make more sense, i mean if you're going to get a liner might as well get one you can replace cheap, since it works i suppose it's the way to go. i couldn't see paying $90-120 for a good used one every now and then vs. $30 for a new plastic ring.

+1
    Alignment to intermeddiate shaft causes wear too.

Ok so now I am a bit curious,

When I run my ski on the trailor you can hear some what sounds to be metal on metal sounds, but as soon as you take it past idle it goes away.

I just replaced the impeller with a SS solas 13/19 hoping to cure the problem, and rapair the damaged impeller that was there.

At first it seemed to be perfect. but after taking it out last weekend, it seems to be making a new noise, and looking into the pump with a flash light, it appears the impeller is closer to one side than the other?? How can you change the alignment of this??? it looks consistant to one side, no wobble or anything, but just its tighter on one side than the other.

I guess the best solution would be to start with a new or used wear section??

THanks!
    Brandon

+1
    You are missing at least one dowel pin within the pump tunnel.

all the dowels are in place, thats why i figured teh problem had to reside in teh wear ring area. As far as I can tell i was the first one to have any of this apart.

So aside from the wear ring, i cant think of anything else to cause this misalignment i have. because its consistantly shifted to that side. It may simply be a build up of alum from where the stock impeller rubbed?

B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information