Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

SHO HP Curves C1-C3-C5

Howdy everyone
    Thought I would post the results of some recent testing we did with some different superchargers.
    Bill from R&D was kind enough to send me a whole load of his stuff for testing including his range of superchargers.
    We tested them with various intercoolers and settled on the Vortec one to conduct the comparisons with.
    At the end of all this there is one thing I can tell you for sure.
    There is no such thing as too big an intercooler.
    Everytime we went up in size up went the power, and in some cases a lot.
    No surprise to those who deal with this as the cooler more dense air simply make HP.
    We had increases of 20 HP between some types.
    Any way the pic shows the HP gains utilising the superchargers mentioned.
    All testing was done with std engine, M400 ECU, flame arestor removed, no air filter, factory water box but free flow exhaust, std injectors, and fuel pressure although the C5 sucked the very last out of the factory injectors at the std pressure, (you couldnt safely run like this in the ski)
    I was actually able to get max power from the C5 using just 98 octane but it was having the odd rattle on the way up the ramp run.
    Better fuel and more ign timing didnt make any more power but again you couldnt run this tune up in the ski with 98 octane with out fully active knock control so race gas would certainly be safer.

I am going to work on the tuneups a bit more and post them on our website forum next week, they will be there to match the SHO/FZR kits we released today.

Cheers

oh another interesting fact before I go.
    Because I had run the turbo kit on this engine at similar boost levels I have comparison HP figures for the same boost, intercooler, fuel and ign. So in effect the power difference between the 2 methods.
    At 14lbs boost the turbo was 35hp in the green.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-5 3 1 Std clean copy sml.jpg 
Views:	1008 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	125358  

Thanks for the post! what were the boost numbers on each wheel? also does it matter how much piping we use to the intercooler? will it lag some?

+1
    Good info Pete

Nice info Pete, thanks alot .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    Thanks for the post! what were the boost numbers on each wheel? also does it matter how much piping we use to the intercooler? will it lag some?
    Ok
    Just looked back through the logging
    C5 = 15lbs @ 8200
    C3 = 14lbs @ 8200
    C1 = 8.7lbs @ 8200
    Std - 6.9lbs @ 7750

You would think that long pipes would cause a lot of lag but not that much at all.
    When you think about the volume of the extra pipework, lets say an estimate of 9 litres.
    The engine displaces 1.8 litres every 2 revolutions so that means it would only take 10 revolutions to move the contents of the pipework into the engine.
    At idle this takes less than half a second to happen and at a low racing rpm of say 6000 it takes 0.1 of a second.
    I hope my maths is right.
    Of course its not as simple as that but you get the idea.

Cheers

sounds like you could put the intercooler just about anywhere in the ski....

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTeC Pete View Post
    Ok
    Just looked back through the logging
    C5 = 15lbs @ 8200
    C3 = 14lbs @ 8200
    C1 = 8.7lbs @ 8200
    Std - 6.9lbs @ 7750

You would think that long pipes would cause a lot of lag but not that much at all.
    When you think about the volume of the extra pipework, lets say an estimate of 9 litres.
    The engine displaces 1.8 litres every 2 revolutions so that means it would only take 10 revolutions to move the contents of the pipework into the engine.
    At idle this takes less than half a second to happen and at a low racing rpm of say 6000 it takes 0.1 of a second.
    Of course its not as simple as that but you get the idea.

Cheers

Great info Pete, as always.

I am surprised how much boost the C3 is making and how little the C1 is making over stock..... It's gonna be interesting to see if the C3/Powershot crowd will be able to repeat the 14 lbs of boost you were seeing from your C3 wheel...hrmmmmmm

And the above info definitely opens up some alternate IC plumbing/mounting options on the SHO/FZR platform. Intercooler upgrade is going to be very important for any SHO owner in the quest for more power......the stock IC is not only a flow bottleneck....but it's ability to cool intake air for a hungry 1.8L with an upgraded SC wheel is laughable at best.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    Great info Pete, as always.

It's gonna be interesting to see if the C3/Powershot crowd will be able to repeat the 14 lbs of boost you were seeing from your C3 wheel...hrmmmmmm
    I imagine they will be closer to the advertised 10 pounds of boost since they will be running 7750 RPM.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    I imagine they will be closer to the advertised 10 pounds of boost since they will be running 7750 RPM.
    Good Point......when taking into account the 10-1 step-u ratio of the SHO.....that extra 500 engine RPM translates into an extra 5000 rpm that the sc wheel has to work with.....

+1 anything over 10lbs you will be back into the boost limiter....at least that is what is advertised by R&D for the powershot.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information