Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Everywhere

I have a small water leak and I cant seem to find it. Last summer I trashed a wear ring and then replaced it. After the replacement if I ride for a few hours there is ALOT of water in the hull. I mean alot!!! It doesnt seem to be coming in around the drive shaft and I dont see anything spraying when I run the ski. I have rode it several times with the seat off looking for the leak and cant seem to find it. Oh, I pulled the jet ski maybe 100yds behind a boat no more than 8 mph to when the wear ring took a crap. I have checked all the bolts on the pump housing and everything is tight.

Oh yea 1996 GSX

Check the Casting holes in the head pipe

neoprene seal?

when I took it apart for the wear ring there was no seal in there so I didnt reinstall one...my understanding is some have them and some dont. Is this the case?

ive never heard that. call the dealer and see if they list one for a 96 GXS. or someone will be able to tell you.

+1
    a missing seal wont cause it to leak, but it will cause it to cavitate. try filling the hull up with water (below the level of the carbs) and see where it leaks out.

+1
    Here is the exploded view of your pump

96 GSX Pump

Check and make sure you have everything in there. I remember the first time I took my pump apart, I lost the O rings, and had to take it apart again to reinstall them. I don't think this is your problem, but if it worked fine when you took it apart, and does not work after you put it back together, it might warrant another look. Good Luck.

+1
    You say you trashed the wear ring, but not how you did it. It is possible you've damaged the thru-hull seal as well. Do you have a carbon seal or bearing/lip seal? Nothing in the pump will cause a leak into the hull, but the thru-hull seal, bailer tubes (2), and water inlet can. Check these 4 areas.

+1
    Best guess for a "LOT" of water if the hoses are secure and you find no cracks or leaks on the hose would be the boot to the carbon seal or the seal collar.

A '96 will have a rubber o-ring in the groove on the drive shaft rather than the metal clip used later on (my '97 GS had o-ring). There is a reason why Bomb went to the metal clip. Pull the collar back against the carbon seal and see if it still has the o-ring. These wear out over time and allow the collar to move forward and the seal will leak under pressure. If it has the clip someone has upgraded it already and that should not be a concern.

The accordian boot may still bear replacemant if it is the original. If you find the o-ring, replace it regardless (just get a clip from the dealer, cut the o-ring off and slip the clip in, no need for a different shaft or any major tool work).

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The accordian boot normally only leaks when running close to wot, because at lower speeds this area is actually in a vacuum. If you didn't pour antifreeze into the engine the bottoms of the cylinders could be cracked, and leaking water. Shine a flashlight between the two for inspection. The weld bosses on the headpipe have been known to corrode, and leak, as previously mentioned. And there is a rear cylinder drain that runs underneath your engine to the thru-hull fitting of your exhaust, but I've never heard of one blowing loose.

You need to ride it with the seat off, if you can't find it while out of the water.

And check the temp of the leaking water inside your hull. Warm means it has already been through the engine, cold is before the engine. This makes it easier to find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information