Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie SL900

Newbie SL900

I just purchased a 1997 Sl 900, I live in Ontario Canada and cant wait for summer, I went out on it last night this unit was in brand new condition no scratches or anything on the hull. Last night I hit the 34 degree water with the snow still in the yard the digital display read 61.3 which I beleive is high. The machine hesitated a bit on the acceleration band assuming bad gas or weak plugs so will change both.

My question is does anyone happen to know what the idle is rpm wise on these machines? i changed the reeds to carbon fiber ones last night and seems to be running a bit high in my personal opinion

thanks in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Where in Ontario are you?
    Click here to update your GreenHulk profile.

Click here for the Polaris Service Manual, and other useful info.

You have already changed the reeds?
    Were the old reeds damaged?

The manual tells you what idle RPM should be, in the water. On land, the idle will be noticeably higher.

I have a friend with a 1997 SL900, looks just like yours.

Have you checked cylinder compression?
    All spark plugs out, throttle pinned open...

The MFD speedometer is not highly accurate, especially if the intake grate on the jet pump has been changed to aftermarket. We all use portable GPS units to measure speed - much more accurate.

Where do you ride?

We are all hurtin' for summertime weather

I live in Owen Sound I had a 95 ZXI 750 last year, my buddy has the sl750 and the difference was amazing so this one i jumped on. i live in Owen Sound right on the bay so im out like every night after work in either this or the boat. Probably gonna tour up your way by the looks youre from orillia

I changed the reeds the guy had them the old ones were not damaged but these were the carbon fiber ones so figured that was better then stock

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jddesign View Post
    I live in Owen Sound I had a 95 ZXI 750 last year, my buddy has the sl750 and the difference was amazing so this one i jumped on. i live in Owen Sound right on the bay so im out like every night after work in either this or the boat. Probably gonna tour up your way by the looks you're from Orillia

I changed the reeds the guy had them the old ones were not damaged but these were the carbon fiber ones so figured that was better then stock
    Actually, often enough the stock reeds are fairly good.

The carbon reeds are more fragile - was just mentioned recently here.

The 900cc Polaris engine does like to rev, but I don't know if the jetting or high speed adjustments need to be changed to reflect the change in engine breathing from the carbon reeds.

The most common way to damage these engines is to run them lean with gummed up carbs. Unless you are 100% certain the carbs have been cleaned/rebuilt recently (and properly), you should take the time to go through them, make sure the internal fuel filters are clean.

If you suspect the gasoline is stale, then that can gum up the carbs too. Old gas has degraded octane, so it is best not to use it in the PWC. Drain it out, use it in your lawnmower over the summer...

Then set the carb screws to spec, and see how it runs. Check piston wash frequently until you are sure the fuel mix is correct, then enjoy the ride!

I ride Lake Ontario, and various cottage country lakes and rivers.

+1
    Check the gas cap, seal and filler neck seal carefully. Sometimes they can crack, and then let water into the fuel tank while you are riding.

If necessary, you can install the newer design Polaris gas cap and filler neck, or even a SeaDoo version.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

fuel line

get the grey fuel line off it,save yourself a motor replacement,idle is around 1150 in the water,around 2500 on the trailer.carbon fiber petals are just fine especially at less than 7000 rpm

what do you mean get the grey fuel line off of it? like remove it or plug it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    get the grey fuel line off it, save yourself a motor replacement...
    Quote Originally Posted by jddesign View Post
    what do you mean get the grey fuel line off of it? like remove it or plug it?
    The gray Tempo brand fuel hose from that era is know to degrade internally, and release a greenish goop that plugs up carbs and causes lean burn engine damage.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    welcome...
    ditto all above. ditch grey hose, set idle in water not on hose or youll just have to do it again,

also my digital read out the gas gauge is stuck on empty tank is full everything else works 100% on the read out assuming its a stuck float?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information