Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Overheated Engine

96 GSX last year my friend was riding it and the intake hose came off the housing and filled the seo doo full of water. Dragged it back to shore, reconnected the hose and drained all the water. It seemed to run fine but the Seadoo white paint is burnt brown. Have I done any other damage potentially? What should I check before I start it for this summer season?

Check compression before you do anything

+1
    I think "should have checked before I parked it for the winter" would have been a better question. j/k

Might wanna take a look at your cylinder walls, and see how bad it looks. depending on your geographical climate, water left in there may have caused some rust, or frozen. I flooded out a ski a long time ago. I pulled the plugs, flipped it upside down, threw a shit ton of WD-40 in the cylinders, cranked the piss out of it (by hand of course) put it all back together, and never had another problem. Hopefully, your ski will bounce back no prob. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!

Not worried about water damage as water never entered the engine (it kept running while water was pouring in the hull). I ran it for a good hour after and the hull was completely dired out. Ran antifreeze through the system for storage and fooged the crap out of it before I put it away (like I do every year). My concern is the potential damage due to overheating I may have caused without knowing as it runs well. I will check the compression. Anything else I can do before I cause any potential further damage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Not worried about water damage as water never entered the engine (it kept running while water was pouring in the hull). I ran it for a good hour after and the hull was completely dired out. Ran antifreeze through the system for storage and fooged the crap out of it before I put it away (like I do every year). My concern is the potential damage due to overheating I may have caused without knowing as it runs well. I will check the compression. Anything else I can do before I cause any potential further damage?
    Start with compression, hope for the best. If compression is good, I think you will be OK. If compression is not good. Go from there.

How are your carbs?

Rebuilt 20 hours ago. Max RPM is approx. 7,050 (completely stock). After I fried it, it would only gotot 6,920 so I will check compression. It was 147 in both jugs.

+1
    If you overheated things my concern would be damage to bearings in the motor. Crank bearings etc
    also with overheating you may have damaged the piston rings

Shouldn't a compression test determine if my rings were damaged? Thankfully the crank case was submerged with water so it was cooled somewhat, but I am concerned also for the bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seapoo View Post
    Shouldn't a compression test determine if my rings were damaged? Thankfully the crank case was submerged with water so it was cooled somewhat, but I am concerned also for the bearings.
    yup, compression test will tell part of the story

Do you have any pics of the motor? Exactly how hot did it get before you realized there was a problem? Did you let it cool down slowly or reconnect the water hose and quench the boiling hot motor with cold water?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information