Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Seadoo GTS (1995) Can I get some advise?

Ok, I got a FREE 95 Seadoo GTS (with a locked up engine). It was supposed to be a project ski back in the beginning of 2008 when I got it but due to personal reasons I put my hobby on the back burner for the rest of the year & it's not until now that I've had the time to get back into what I love. Now the time has come but because I've been distant from the SeaDoo's for the last 3-4 years I don't know how popular these ol' GTS's still are. The only reason I would consider fixing it now is to re-sell it. I don't plan on keeping it. I've seen these 580cc engines on ebay for less than $300.00 running! Is this ski worth fixing to sell or should I part it out? The hull is in PRISTINE conditions both in & out. It's a very clean ski. What do you guys think?

+1
    Well I pulled up the N.A.D.A. value, and average retail w/o trailer is $1120. With a trailer add $290.

I guess the main question is if you can get a decent motor for cheap, throw in a few hours of wrench time, and sell it for a grand, is it worth it to YOU.

Personally, I'd get her runnin, throw a 4sale sign on it, and turn a few bucks.

Go for it!

If you're looking for profit, I'd say to part it out is a better decision if it is really in pristine condition. People will pay for good non-faded body parts, and you can take each piece off the engine and sell it all on Ebay if you want to put the time into posting each little piece. New parts from the dealer are way too expensive.

I know at least around here in FL, no one wants 2 strokes anymore, especially since yours would be really old, and not very fast with the small engine in the big body. I have a 1997 GTS with 717 engine and I wish I would have ditched it when the motor blew and bought a 4 stroke instead of dropping big bucks back into it.

Of course, if you're just looking to keep a running toy for cheap, then throw in a cheap engine and enjoy! Maybe you could upgrade to the 720 or better, the hull is same as mine, anything less would be SLOW. I'm only getting 45-50 mph with everything stock.

Quote Originally Posted by JonUF02 View Post
    Of course, if you're just looking to keep a running toy for cheap, then throw in a cheap engine and enjoy! Maybe you could upgrade to the 720 or better, the hull is same as mine, anything less would be SLOW. I'm only getting 45-50 mph with everything stock.
    That's why I rather sell it. I have no intentions of keeping it. I'm doing 60 on my XLT so that lil' 580cc engine would not sufice. My idea was to clean it thoroughly inside, buy a used "working" engine on ebay with good compression & like dcman4usn said, go for it. I could probably make $600 maybe if I want a quick sell. It's a nice little hull but not my type of speed. Thanks guys!

+1
    Don't forget to let us know what you decide...

Quote Originally Posted by dcman4usn View Post
    Don't forget to let us know what you decide...
    That's for sure! I never make a move without posting it on greenhulk!
    Thanks guys!

+1
    I've recently been fighting the same battle on my end. I found a pretty decent seadoo on CL with a blown motor and trailer for $600. Dude said it needs a top end job. So, I figured for $900 or so, I can have a pretty decent ski/trailer. I have a weekend home in a city that turns pretty touristy from memorial day to labor day. I always see people selling skis for WAY more than they are worth up here. I think they just try to get some action off the tourists. So my battle is this... Should I be on the lookout for a ski that needs some tlc, put a few hours and beers into it, and turn a few bucks here and there? My wife makes the argument that "economic times are hard and no one is buying this shit" I say powersports are still in demand, and we are not as impacted as far as sales go...

What do you guys think?

I say go for it. Just picked up a 95 SP that needs a crank, doin the same thing. My parents also have a spot up in Marblehead.

I say if you really know what you're doing, and you don't mind putting in the time for the expected amount of profit, then do it. I would beware because the cost of parts on these things can be outrageous.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonUF02 View Post
    I say if you really know what you're doing, and you don't mind putting in the time for the expected amount of profit, then do it. I would beware because the cost of parts on these things can be outrageous.
    ABSOLUTELY!!! It costs a lot of money to go fast. lol

I think that's part of the fun. Friend of mine bought the new throttle cable from the dealer, and paid like $230 ish. I picked up a used one on ebay, and it cost me $18 shipped. I like to try to find things on the cheap if possible, just makes the project a little more challenging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information