Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jet pump assembly question

Have someone that wants to buy my whole extended jet pump assembly from my 95 slt750 (pictured below)

Was wondering if this setup will also fit fine onto a '96 slt780? He said he looked up some of the part numbers and they might have been different? Anyone know for sure if this will work or won't work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2516 View Post
    ...He said he looked up some of the part numbers and they might have been different? ...
    Have you looked up the part number differences yourself?

Didn't look at them but i see that the 780 has the extension, basically everything else i checked cross-referenced besides the extension if i put the extension on the 750 assembly would it fit fine in the 780 or would i then need a longer drive shaft as well?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2516 View Post
    Didn't look at them but i see that the 780 has the extension, basically everything else i checked cross-referenced besides the extension if i put the extension on the 750 assembly would it fit fine in the 780 or would i then need a longer drive shaft as well?
    The extension is also the wear ring, but as far as I know all the Polaris jst pump extensions are interchangeable.

If the 780 already has the extended pump, then it already has the long drive shaft to fit the extended pump.

But the impellers are different, since the 780 puts out more power, it has a steeper pitch in the impeller blades.

The two nozzles might have a different number of bilge siphon hose connections, but the 750 nozzle will fit in place of the 780 nozzle.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    All parts will interchange.

They will need to use the 780 extension/wear ring, longer cooling tube, drive shaft, impeller, and impeller housing (attached to hull) to prevent alignment issues.

So, the question is, why not sell the guy just the stator?

That's basically all they need.

the newbie cubsfan is trying to help

thanks guys for all your input. i'm basically an oil filter and spark plug mechanic, but i did remove, diagnose, clean and replace the carberetor on my non running pressure washer last fall. started on the first pull. but i did stay in a holiday inn that night. xlint, you make a good point about the stator. you should see this mess. the stub shaft, pump cone, impellor, all bearings, nuts and bolts and whatever else holds it all together basically came out as schrapnel. well, the stub shaft and impellor is still in one peice but the stub shaft it looks like it's been on a good diet - about half is gone in the middle. the impellor is ground down beyond repair. i have not removed the impellor housing from the hull and due to alignment issues and not having the right tools was going to try not to. the more i think about it i have a hard time imagining how it could have escaped unscathed. any thoughts?? xlint, from what you say i need a different impellor housing. do you guys think it is worth it to reassmble with the new impellor and check the clearance or just start looking for a new housing??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pslt780 View Post
    ... the impeller is ground down beyond repair. i have not removed the impeller housing from the hull and due to alignment issues and not having the right tools was going to try not to. the more i think about it i have a hard time imagining how it could have escaped unscathed...
    If you had an extended pump to start with, then the wear ring (which is also the extension section) is what would have been worn by the impeller. The pump base glued to the hull should not need to be touched.

Sounds like you need a new/good condition extension/wear ring, good/reconditioned impeller, and a stator that can hold the stub shaft bearings in proper alignment.

If you do NOT have an extended jet pump at present, then the wear ring is the inside of the pump base, which is bolted and sealed against the hull. That is harder (but not impossible) to remove. An alternative (if it is worn, and you do not yet have an extended pump) is to install an extended pump configuration.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk pslt 780.

Sounds like the pump bearings went south.

Does your ski have the extended pump jet? I don't think SLT 780's do.

You'll most likely need a new stator and impeller.

Then a clearance check will need to be done to tell if the wear ring needs replaced.

thanks for all your input k447 and xlint.
    from what you've told me and looking at the manual i think i have my head around this. the bearings did fail. my bad. i wish i had found this forum a few years ago. looks like inspection/replacement of the seals and bearings around the stub shaft needs to be part of routine maintenance.

i can use cubsfan's stator, impeller, stub shaft, pump shaft cone, etc. i'll need a new/used pump extenstion.

any good tips on seperating the stator, pump extension, pump wedge ssembly? i have a pump wedge i need to get off. these all seem to be corroded and difficult to seperate. i have some ideas. i usually figure something out. then somebody shows me their way/the right way and i think "why didn't i think of that?"

+1
    Any way they come off undamaged is the right way.

I find the easiest for me is to step on the pump and take a hammer and screwdriver to the piece I want off. Carefully working all the way around the part. It should slowly walk the parts off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information