Thread: Coolant leak?

+1

Coolant leak?

I was just out looking at the boat and theres two leaks one a bolt on the ride plate also there is coolant under the motor, about a shotglass worth so not a big leak. Boats been inside a cold garage all winter since Oct. any ideas where it could be coming from, i felt all the hoses and fitting i could find and there all dry can see where it could be coming from.

Go to O'Reilly's auto parts store if you have one. Get a pressure tester and test the system.

Forgot to add. If the bolt is on the top of the rideplate, just pull out the bolt and put some silicone around the head then reinstall the bolt. Simple fix.

+1
    check for leaks where the 2 hoses connect to the ridplate, replace spring clamps with screw style clamps, thats pro. your issue.

+1
    Pressure test DUH should of though of that, been a long day. And yes Top bolt right in the center of the ride plate, just a small ring of coolant around the bolt head. do i neeed to drain the coolant? Im guessing the leaks are do to the cold weather we get here

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    check for leaks where the 2 hoses connect to the ridplate, replace spring clamps with screw style clamps, thats pro. your issue.
    Thanks for the tip ill check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Pressure test DUH should of though of that, been a long day. And yes Top bolt right in the center of the ride plate, just a small ring of coolant around the bolt head. Im guessing the leaks are do to the cold weather we get here
    Not sure what causes them to do that, but it's a pretty common problem. Easy fix though so no biggie. I have about 3 or 4 on my plate that I need to fix.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    Your tip helped thats were the leak is, I really had to bend and twist toget my head in there to look at them.

+1
    its a P.I.T.A. to get to, and to remove the spring clamps, I slid them down to get some room and took a dremel and a cutting wheel. I heard too you can slide the clamp up and then squeeze the rubber hose enough to get bolt cutters under to snap the clamp. I didnt want to risk cutting the rubber so I did the dremel.

Seems they all leak.

Thread Information